• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

adzadz

best texture format????

This topic is 5715 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

could someone tell me what''s the best format to use in OpenGL? targa?, rgb?, something else???

Advertisement
I use PNG''s and load them with glPNG they are by far the best ive ever used... better than targa for transparencies...

and what shall be better on PNGs ?

i personally prefer TGAs since a lot of textures are available as TGAs so you do not have to convert them anymore although i could write a little converter

Guest Anonymous Poster
why do you need to know the best format? there''s no best format, you have to choose on your own

The only difference there is is how you load them, as soon as they are loaded then they take an equal amount of memory. So if you should load textures with transparency then use a format that supports that. I use both jpeg, tga and png.
Use one you know how too use, tga and bmp is really easy. Jpeg and Png has a lot of usefull librarys that will do the job for you.

Internal format (RGB, BGR, RGBA , ARGB,...) and file format (bmp, jpg, gif, tga,...) are independent!

The best file format to store your images are jpg if you do not need high resolution...if you are going to use texture in some user interface (font, button,...) I suggest to use gif or bmp.
Try to grab some text and save the image as jpg !

I found that OpenGL use very few formats...so I think you should use the RGBA (every pixel is a DWORD like this : aa bb gg rr where red is on the first BYTE)...for alpha map there is of course only one format!
I dont understand why OpenGL uses RGBA (ARGB is most popular and it''s used in DDraw)

quote:
Original post by blizzard999
I dont understand why OpenGL uses RGBA (ARGB is most popular and it''s used in DDraw)

i think, this has to do with lil/big endianess.
btw. there is an old extension called EXT_BGRA.

quote:
Original post by sanjo
i think, this has to do with lil/big endianess.

No. There's not real good reason for ARGB vs. RGBA. it's just another thing that MS did to differentiate D3D from OGL. The only difference is the way you feed it into the API. It's all the same in hardware anyways.

[edited by - DannerGL on April 22, 2003 1:36:08 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!