• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stew

OGL update under windows...

This topic is 5716 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I''m a bit confused about using OGL > 1.1 under windows. I have the latest drivers for my card but is that enough for an upgrade of OGL. I mean where can I get updated headers from other than the MS GL1.1 ones. Are there any? Also is there a way to check the OGL version by calling some function or even in the display settings box somewhere? I have a nvidia gforce4 ti 4200 card. I have to say that all my windows code works great under OGL 1.2 in Linux. Nothing like when I was upgrading from dx7 to dx8...my god what a nightmare that was! (dx8-9 wasn''t too painful) But it is so nice not to have to run around doing a search-replace for all the LPDIRECTX8 to LPDIRECTX9 stuff! Thanks Stew

Advertisement
Um, generally the NVIDIA drivers will actually come with a newer version of Opengl, I think that the drivers from NV are ogl 1.4. So you actually should have the newest openGL on your computer

I recommend you start with gl 1.0 and not ms 1.1 since it''s not 1.1 complete. Then query extensions from extension string. I don''t recommend you check gl version and then grab the function addys directly because you still have to check ext. string to see whether your card supports certain extensions. This is less true for function pointers which you can check for null but it''s necessary for enums like cube map support for example. If you don''t check the ext. string for cube map ext. then you don''t know whether the hw supports cubemapping or not. Don''t be fooled by gl version since even non-cubemap hw exports latest gl version number. My gf2 which is dx7 in hw advertizes gl 1.4 but I know that it doesn''t support dx8/dx9 or gl 1.3/1.4 hw features. The hardest part is learning how extensions differ from each other when they''re in the same category and figuring out which parts of gl are extended when browsing gl 1.4 specs which document promoted extensions.

That reminds me of a maybe related topic. How can I prevent OGL apps from running so slowly under WinXP?

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I knew that I had the latest libs from the nvidia drivers, I just wasn''t sure about the headers. I guess that only matters when I want to use the latest extensions and so forth, which I''m not really worried about just yet...something to hunt for later

Thanks again,
Stew

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!