• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

guy_with_a_pexel

dev c++ vr. visual c++

This topic is 5717 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

what copiler do I need to work with DirectX stuff, I would think I could use any c++ compiler, but every book suggests visual c++. Why can''t I use Dev, do I HAVE to have visual c++? and if I CAN use dev, how do I load the libraries into it?

Advertisement
It is easier to link DX into VC++ because, let''s face it, Microsoft is trying to sell their software development products. It is possible to use Dev C++. There are ports of the DX library out there if you use a clever google search. So no, you don''t have to buy VC++. And, for my two cents, VC++ is no better than Dev-C++.

It''s much easier to use visual C++ for direct x since they are both microsoft products, but there are direct x libraries available for dev c++. If you have the latest build (I believe 4.9.8.0) run vUpdate and get the direct x package. Then you need to link to the appropriate libraries and include the appropriate headers.

so wait,m do you load the libraries using c++ code, or loading them into the compiler? And would a directX tutorial tell me? If anyone knows of a tutorial that would help, please tell me.

You don't load anything. You tell your linker which libraries you are using. Then you code your game using the functions/etc that library you specified comes with.

Dev-c already comes with directx5. If you just wanna see how it works, look at the "easydxc" example that comes with dev-c.

[edited by - xaxa on April 21, 2003 3:05:25 AM]

It depends. Do you want to spend money? I have Bloodshed-Dev C++. It is fine. However, you have to run a special version of DirectX for Dev-C++, probaly because it was coded in Delphi. I think it is great. If you work with OpenGL, it works wonders.

Scott

yea I intended to type vs. but I realized I didn't after the fact, and left it up to my post to explain what I meant. And it sounds like just to make my life a lot easier I will have to buy visual c++ for now being a beginner. Is there anyway I can get it cheaper than $110?

[edited by - guy_with_a_pexel on April 21, 2003 1:09:53 PM]

quote:
Original post by Programmer_Prime
Buy one of LaMoth''s book''s. The books suck but you get vis c++ intro on the cd-rom.

The books don''t suck, but some of them are a bit outdated.

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!