Your toughts about 2 subjects

Started by
8 comments, last by Coz 20 years, 12 months ago
First, about MMORPGs, what do you think about about letting players make their own servers, playing a map, just like they do in Half Life... would there be a way to implement this? Second, what way do you think its the best way to change clothes on a person in a 3D game? making a new model? changing textures? or another way i''m not aware of? ;D ----------------------> Nothing in the world is the way it should be; that''s why we, the champions, exist and live for: HOPE.
Advertisement
1.would defeat the purpose of giving everyone a fair chance at advancing their character. (ie. i could make a map filled with gold then pick up all that gold)

2.just make aclothes model that fits onto the character, then you can change texture for different colours/types, and change the clothes model for different articles of clothing like trench coat/ skirt/ hat etc...
About the MMO issue;

I see no real reason why this wouldn''t work. As long as editing the files or the actual gameplay is not possible on your own server. (But hey, there are ways to cheat for every game).

This would even be a good way to "distribute computer power" and thereby being able to have a "larger" world. All that the company servers would NEED to do is to store character data.

One downside to this is that the game company will not be able to charge as usual. However, there is still the possibility to charge for character data storage. And there can be in the license agreement that no server may store that for you (in case of software hacking and manipulation - of course it will not be possible in the software in the first place).

This would leed to the hard-core gamers paying a low monthly fee for having the company server store their beloved character profile and the casuals would just play as nobodies but would do it for free.

Richard Olsson
maxed@johnbauer.org
Richard Olsson
quote:Original post by Kuladus
1.would defeat the purpose of giving everyone a fair chance at advancing their character. (ie. i could make a map filled with gold then pick up all that gold)

That''s true, but what if the maps you play would have been made by the company only? With some sort of verification by the name, and size of the file and maybe some other things the possibility to cheat would be greatly decreased.

Also the maps would have monsters or things to acomplish to get the gold, so you just can''t take the gold. But why do players in HL make their own servers? To play with their friends? If they made servers, those servers have to allow a number of players as a minimun, to let players outside of the ones the admin want to play with, but that would be in case that there were not enough servers for all the players, and in HL that''s quitte improbable, but HL is also quitte popular, but you would try to have those players that aren''t the admin friends to be as close as possible to the server.

Of course that there must be other reasons that encourage people to make the servers, but what would those be?

---------------------->
Nothing in the world is the way it should be; that''s why we, the champions, exist and live for: HOPE.
i think maybe the lure of mmorpg''s are the fact that their are a lot of people playing, creating an independent universe. having your own server would defeat the purpose of the mmorpg as you wouldn''t be able to serve as many ppl as a the game standard server would.

i think games like HL, Q3 etc have a personal server appeal, because of the rapid arcade action these games have, allowing you to play a few rounds against your friends or what not. personal servers also allow the person to customise the game for him and his friends, which is what you can''t really do for an MMORPG.

the end
Now, I am not technical freak, but I''m thinking;

Wouldn''t it be possible to approach this with a distributed computer-power appeal? Where the "personal" servers just put up their CPU-power and then are also connected to the main server, somewhat like a leaves/branches.

Richard Olsson
maxed@johnbauer.org
Richard Olsson
For the first question I''d say if your not going to charge to play the game it could work, you''d just end up with smaller player run servers, however if you plan on charging to play the game its not a good Idea to give people the option to host there own servers, cause someone will crack it so that it becomes independant and then they will all play for free...

the Idea that I like about a MMORPG is that you have to log on to a certain server, your character is only there so you have to grow in the place you want to play, you can''t just step in and kill everyone, and its hard to cheat because the Gamemaster or developers can fix the little bugs as people find them..

Please visit Turt99 Productions
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER OR MY BLOG
maxed I''m not sure if people would just give their cpu power without any advantage like customizing the way they play, but maybe I''m not seeing something here. But what if there is a Main server to which the others have to connect to validate them, store information, like just a manager that controls the other servers? it would give them autorization to do something but if in the next check that the main server do, somethings seems to be not alright, the minor server can''t send information to it.

The players have to log to he main server to be sent to the server that seems to be the better for it, or in somecases you can have special permision to tell which server you want to enter, but they always have to log in to the main server, who holds the information about the character. When the character is logged of the server, this server sends the info to the main server.

---------------------->
Nothing in the world is the way it should be; that''s why we, the champions, exist and live for: HOPE.
This is kind of interesting. I''m sure this has been thought of before, but what if you could make an MMORPG, that relied on both company servers, AND those of their clients. If you wanted to "donate" your CPU power (ie: SETI@Home), you could just leave your own computer on, and your computer would act as part of the server network. In exchange for your contribution, you could be rewarded with free playing time (good) or other ingame perks (not as good)
Peon
The perks doesn''t have to be trully bad, but them should give no advantage in the gameplay over others players. Maybe diferent ways of showing the names or different colors in the characters, but it has to be something that doesn''t give them obvious advantages over normal players.

I think that free gameplay is a good way of rewarding players who give their cpu power.

Sure there are more ways of rewarding people who helps, these just have to be tought and implemented.

I don''t know that what is the true problem with maddive online games, is it too little cpu power? or too little bandwidth? ;D

---------------------->

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement