• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Subotron

Quake III model loading tutorials (and PK3 and MD3?)

This topic is 5541 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m looking for tutorials on how to load and use Quake III models. I''ve seen a few but they seem incomplete or really bad. Can anyone tell me where I can find a tutorial with good, complete code? Also, all these Quake III model loaders load .md3 files, but when I seek for Quake III models I seem to find .pk3 models (from www.polycount.com) What is the difference between the 2, and how can I change the pk3 to md3? Or can''t I? I''m confused :S | Panorama 3D Engine | Contact me | | MSDN | Google | SourceForge |

Advertisement
The .pk3 is a package file. It packs the textures, shaders, models, etc. all into 1 file. (Thats the way I understand it anyway) I have only seen 2 .md3 loaders though. 1 from the book ''Begining DirectX Game Program'' which was a bad example. The other one was from www.gametutorials.com which is a good one.

-UltimaX-

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"

quote:
Original post by Subotron
What is the difference between the 2, and how can I change the pk3 to md3? Or can''t I? I''m confused :S

PK3 is a renamed ZIP.

the big problem with the gt.com loaders is that they convert it to their own custom model format which is a pain in the arse.

nate.scuzzy.net has got one of the most feature-complete md3 viewers i''ve seen.

if not, there''s a good one for java (called javamd3 or something like that) which comes with source code (and java isn''t THAT different from C) that you can port.

other than that... happy hunting

Subotron,

Take a look at the "Loading MD3" tutorial at the GT site.

http://www.gametutorials.com/Tutorials/opengl/OpenGL_Pg4.htm

Norm

Hello,

I used this combined with the GameTutorial.com tutorial for loading and animating my MD3''s:
http://linux.ucla.edu/~phaethon/q3a/formats/md3format.html

Regards,
Deficte

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!