• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CraZeE

Operator ambiguity

This topic is 5719 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi guys, this concerns an issue with operator overloading. in my vector class, i tried setting overloaded operators for the array index and for casting. however, i cant seem to have both at the same time. sample:

const float operator [] ( const long &index ) const;
operator float*() const;

now the error i get says i have 2 ambiguous definitions for the [] operator. it seems to make sense since the array index operator is usually interpreted as a pointer too. but the difference between the operators lies in that one takes a parameter and the other doesn't. yet the code won't compile. if i leave only one and not the other (doesnt matter which one) then it works. i use MSVC6. so it could be a compiler problem. i checked the msdn for the reported error and the example case provided does not coincide with mine entirely. help is appreciated. thanx. [edited by - crazee on April 21, 2003 1:07:50 PM]

Advertisement
Yeah, the problem is that the compiler has the choice of using your subscript operator, or implicitly converting to float* and then using the built-in subscript operator. This is why typecast operators are generally a really, really bad idea.

What are you trying to do here? Why do you want to convert to a float*?

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

Don''t provide an implicit operator to float. If you want an easy way to call glVertex3fv with your vector class, you should make an overloaded version:

void glVertex3fv(MyVector3& v)
{
glVertex3fv(&v[0]);
}

You can do the same for whatever else you needed to cast to float* for.

sneftel: the reason i''m using explicit cast operator is coz i''m using it in a vector math class. the vector parameters are defined as a union of 4 float parameters, public too. now it is already convenient to access the values as x,y,z OR v[0...2].

i just wanted to overload the index operator[] in case i REALLY get lazee but the cast operator comes in handy in case i want to directly cast the vector into an array of floats:

without my intended approach:

float *list = vectorTemp.v; OR
float *list = &vectorTemp.x;

with my intended approach:

float *list = (float*)vectorTemp;

it felt simpler for me to work with the casting way, though i think it is slower. anyway, it was also because i wanted to learn a bit about operator overloading. guess i got carried away. i scrapped the casting operator though.. found the index operator more useful.

cgoat: ur suggestion doesn''t work coz the issue doesnt seem to be with return type. in fact wat boggled me initially is y does ambiguity even exist when the parameter list for the operators differ.

using the operator[] REQUIRES an index integral, but the cast doesnt need. so y does msvc go through all the trouble of trying to do implicit casting before indexing instead of simply using my self-made operator. kinda irritating when the compiler stops listening to you.. grrr

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!