Particle Systems Tutorials ?

Started by
6 comments, last by Alpha_ProgDes 21 years ago
I''ve read some of the posts using Search in the Forums. I''ve gotten a better understanding of how they work but unfortunately can''t see the whole picture. Things like how they move together, on their own, and how they act individually or as a group with opposing forces/environments. Is there a tutorial whichs explains all these things? Hopefully in using 2D (ie. SDL, DirectDraw) since that''s what i''m currently working with? I don''t need code per se, just an article(s) that explains the process and how they work.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement
www.particlsystems.com has alot of info on the subject.
yeah. right.

ph0ng^_^wh0ng
ph0ng^_^wh0ng
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
www.particlsystems.com has alot of info on the subject.

the link didn''t work... i got a "cannot find server".

Sorry about the type o it should be www.particlesystems.com
Ack apparently the site was taken down sorry about that. Guess they didn''t pay their bills...
bump....
does anyone know? or have a suggestion?

[edited by - Alpha_ProgDes on April 22, 2003 5:17:59 AM]

Hi there!

I can't get hold of my docs right now, but I'd be happy to send you all .pdf's I've found during my learning period. I'm making a particle system for a game company as a thesis project. But I know gamasutra has an article, and it refers to another one called "water sprayed in your face" I think. And the most known ones are also the first ones, written by Reeves in 83 and 85. He made a particle system for a "burning planet" effect in the Star Trek movie Wrath of the Khan.

Google that and contact me on kabooomm@hotmail.com and I'll send you the .pdf's

[Edit] - They cover particle systems in a abstract way. No OpenGL or DX or whatever. The simplest particle systems uses Billboards. That means, each particle has a position and maybe a size. Then you just render all alive particles at their position and with their size billboarded against the camera. In 2D it's no prob! In 3D just get the cameras Up and Right vectors and use that

[edited by - Seriema on April 22, 2003 5:32:29 AM]
[ ThumbView: Adds thumbnail support for DDS, PCX, TGA and 16 other imagetypes for Windows XP Explorer. ] [ Chocolate peanuts: Brazilian recipe for home made chocolate covered peanuts. Pure coding pleasure. ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement