What is the proper syntax for invoking placement delete?

Started by
33 comments, last by null_pointer 20 years, 11 months ago
quote:You could raise it on comp.std.c++.

Thanks for the quick answer!

(Ack! Newgroups. Why do people prefer newsgroups to message boards? I have enough trouble setting up the damned things, let alone understanding how the content is organized.)

quote:So he answered your email?

Yes. I did not press the issue because I did not want to sound presumptuous or impertinent. C++ is his language and if he does not want to add something to it, I am not going to whine about it until he does. Or do you think that I am being too cautious?

quote:NullPointer, the C++ language is designed in such a way that the actual problems you're trying to solve have a proper solution within the language. You seem to have three main beefs:

I appreciate your intentions, but I am not interested in arguing whether the language ought to continuing allowing people to write custom memory managers. The argument in this thread is about whether there ought to be a placement delete expression to *match* the *existing* placement new expression. If you would like to discuss whether the implementations for new and delete commonly shipped with most compilers are adequate for solving any and all problems one might reasonbly be expected to encounter, why do you not start another thread?

EDIT: Revised stupid typographical mistake.

[edited by - null_pointer on May 2, 2003 2:37:41 PM]
Advertisement
quote:Original post by null_pointer
(Ack! Newgroups. Why do people prefer newsgroups to message boards? I have enough trouble setting up the damned things, let alone understanding how the content is organized.)

comp.std.c++
Can be used for posting too.

But yeah.. I have to admit it, the group name comp(uter).std(standard).c++ is quite a brain-teaser.

[edited by - civguy on May 2, 2003 2:56:05 PM]
quote:Can be used for posting too.

Thanks! I did not know Google could be used to view newsgroups as a sort of virtual bulletin board.

quote:But yeah.. I have to admit it, the group name comp(uter).std(standard).c++ is quite a brain-teaser.

Are you trying to be sarcastic? I knew what the abbreviations stood for, but configuring and using an email client to access a newsgroup is just an irritation.
but configuring and using an email client to access a newsgroup is just an irritation.
I agree there, but I was referring to the "let alone understanding how the content is organized" part. But never mind, I'm glad that Google link helped.
Are you trying to be sarcastic?
Did I fail?

[edited by - civguy on May 2, 2003 3:22:31 PM]
quote:I agree there, but I was referring to the "let alone understanding how the content is organized" part.

By that sentence fragment I was referring to how the content (e.g., the posts) are organized in the email client. I had a heck of a time trying to use a newsgroup for technical support once although I did get it working somehow. I still cannot understand why people cannot simply use a bulletin board instead of a newsgroup.

quote:Did I fail?

No, I should have said, "Are you being sarcastic?"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement