Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blue-ice2002

use python or not?

hi,im implementing a strategy game and decided or about to decide that controling everything by c++ statements is out of control at some point or to realize at which point of the action we are. And read that professionals use SCRIPTING languages they wrote or the ones there are already.My question is may i use PYTHON language or, others ,if i use it what exactly i profit of using them.or using and learning those will take effort much more then finishing my game in C++?thanks for reading

You may use Python very conveniently. Many people have used Python, and there is a GamaSutra post-mortem on using Python in a professional game.

Using a "scripting" language is beneficial because development in a scripting language, particularly iterative development, takes less time and usually is as fast as if you''d done it in C or C++ for most tasks. Scripting languages also tend to give you a lot of flexibility that you wouldn''t have otherwise, and they allow you to alter behaviors within your game without having to rebuild because the scripting source is interpreted at runtime.

Finally, "scripting" languages are generally easier to learn because they place less responsibility on the programmer while improving expressiveness (Python doesn''t have type declarations and allows objects to be reassigned to values of different type, for example).