Dolby 5.1

Started by
5 comments, last by RichardF 20 years, 11 months ago
Hello, Does anyone know how i can have a dolby 5.1 output in my game ? Do i need to use ac3 files ? Can it be something that can be played realtime or must the sounds be ''encoded''. Any help much appreciated. Richard.
Advertisement
That entirely depends on what system your game is going to run on. Normally, your sound driver will sort out what type of speaker system is being used and do it automatically from the position information.
Unless you want to write your own sound driver for specific hardware.

www.dolby.com
www.fmod.org
the software will actually run on one system, and will have the most suitable card for the job, i had an Audigy 2 in mind (other suggestions welcome). it supports 6.1 i believe.

i will be using 5.1 speakers, although i believe i have to go through a mixer (the sound card doesnt have 6 outputs right?).

also, im not sure about the driver but i was intending on using directsound.

FMOD, and Directsound allow you to specify a 3D position for a sound and the listener (as well as velocities for dopplar effects). The driver will sort out which speaker(s) to output the sound to from this information. Assuming everything is set up correctly. Speaker information is in the control panel for Windows, and the software SHOULD use this. Not all games do, unfortunately.
>> as well as velocities for dopplar effects

im sorry, what are dopplar effects ?
Dopplar is the effect produced by an object moving towards or away from you. Think of what a car sounds like as it passes by you. While an object is moving towards you the frequency of the sound wave its producing becomes higher and higher (from your perspective), as it passes you and begins to move away the frequency becomes lower and lower.

Others in this thread have mentioned FMOD and DirectSound, I''ll add OpenAL to that list.
Thanks all you guys.

I know what needs to be done.

Rich.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement