video memory

Started by
34 comments, last by 666_1337 20 years, 11 months ago
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Why not try glTexImage2d(...) with target set to GL_PROXY_....??
u can call it multiple times with increasing size untill it tells u that this texture won''t be resident in the vram.
i think this can give a rough estimate.

um... i could.... but it is like you would determine how many free memory a computer has with sequences of malloc.

and for the vram, i don''t want to have to re-load all my texture''s that became overwriten to determine how many memory is left
our new version has many new and good features. sadly, the good ones are not new and the new ones are not good
Advertisement
um... sorry...
i didn''t read that proxy part
our new version has many new and good features. sadly, the good ones are not new and the new ones are not good
to determine the size of the RAM there is a technique called memory probing: read some bites from a memory address incrementing the address until u dont get anythin back or an error occures.

why couldnt it be done on VRAM??
quote:
why couldnt it be done on VRAM??

Because you don''t get direct access to VRAM.
quote:Original post by siaspete
Does knowing the amount of VRAM available help you in any genuinely useful and non-flawed way? I doubt it. Trust OpenGL to manage it.

Why you shouldn''t use iostream.h - ever! | A Good free online C++ book

He also said how much is being used... this would be pretty usefull I''d think, if you knew how much video memory you had left to work with.
quote:Original post by Mihail121
Maybe we shoud also ask why we need the size of the avaidable video memory.Will this prevent any allocation from failing or will just add a cool msg on the screen:"Video memory left:%d",bla-bla.Perhaps not to have access to such kind of data is for the best...

The PAIN is coming...this summer!!!In cinemas everywhere.

I would like to know the amount of v-ram and v-ram left.. then I could check if my app would work properly before it runs. Otherwise, I could start loading textures and objects, etc, etc THEN find out that I ran out of video memory via an error, or worse yet.. it doesn''t give me an error and just allocates to normal ram, and runs so slow it''s unbeleiveable (like on my other test machine here, my app runs SO slow because it''s only a 4mb card, and I''m using more than 4mb of v-ram). I can''t actually test this in code, so I''m stuck just letting it run even though I know it takes very long to load, and will never run fast.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement