• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NewbieGamer

Newbie on design.... request for ideas.

This topic is 5531 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi All, Greetings. I am glad to have stumbled upon this forum as i see a lot of folks helping each other at all levels. I am a newbie to "Game/Graphics" programming. I happened to get an opportunity to do some work on a small task of providing a solution to a mapping application. I was looking for some initial breakthrough, when one of my colleagues suggested looking into "gaming" for the best answers/initiation. I shall explain what i am supposed to do and would really appreciate your invaluable suggestions. Thanks in advance for your time and help. Pardon the naive terminology in the following text.... Tasks:- A client application is being worked upon which can display geographical information. The geographical info is represented as images in the hard-disk. An image that is currently displayed on screen can be clicked at any coordinate and the (x,y), when passed to a function [that i should write] should be able to provide the user/client with an image that can be displayed for that co-ordinate. This new image should be the zoomed version of the original image at that coordinate. Something like the maps/directions[maps.yahoo.com, msn mappoint] that will yield a detailed image when clicked on a point. I am sure you all have a plenty of ideas on how this could be effectively accomplished. One aspect of this app is that the initial image is actually composed of smaller blocks/cells of images that are collectively displayed as a bigger image. So when the user clicks at any given coordinate its corresponding block/cell will now be displayed as the actual zoomed image. A question that you might raise is the various cases to consider. 1. If the user clicks at a coordinate which happens to be the junction of four blocks/cells then the client should be given back all these four cells so that it can extract a portion from each cell and display an image that does not appear like a cooked up product. For now, i don''t have to worry about this part [of generating an image from 4 different images and overlay et al]. 2. There might be other caveats [in-between cases, border clicks et al] that you all might offer me in such situations. Please feel free to throw them at me. My concern is about how to design an efficient map/search technique that will allow me to return the cell or cells given a coordinate from the screen. Are there standard techniques or algorithms that i can use?. I have been involved in a fair amount of business app development and can digest C++/JAVA/VB/C#/XML and databases. Should i consider storing this mapping information in some sort of database or can i go with any XML based solution. If this is not the appropriate forum and if any of you have suggestions on where i should be looking for answers, i would appreciate your input on that. [I have also posted this on gamedev.org]. Thanks and have a good one, V

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!