Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bigadabop

I need help <-- Beginner!

Bigadabop    122
Ok, I know most of the basics of c++, but when I go to apply what I know to game programming, I am kinda dumb founded. I was wandering if there was anyone out there that could either tutor me (for free of course) or just show me the pathway (light). I heard the best game to start out with would be tetris, that is perfectly fine with me! But when I think about it, I think ok, where do I start. As you can see, I am pretty lost as of right now, but hopefull someone out there has an answer that could better unscrew my head. Please help! Thanks.

DariusX    122
Personally, I'm mostly just into programming RPG's, so I would reccomend Jim Adams' book, Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX (see the link in my signature), but there are other books you could refer to, such as:
OpenGL Game Programming
Beggining Direct3D Game Programming
Linux Game Programming
Isometric Game Programming With DirectX 7.0

But there are a ton of resources at this site that can help you too.

THIS book rocks.

3D gaming Haven Opening soon.

[edited by - DariusX on April 28, 2003 4:59:29 PM]

Illumini    205
Hmm. Start off small. If you want make a graphical game then learn how to use an API like DirectX or OpenGL. I usually reccomend DirectDraw, because I feel its easiest for beginners. It is the most basic form of graphics. Once you know how to draw stuff to the screen you are half way there!

The next step is to learn about game code, this is non API specific code that will allow you to draw your world.

In tetris this would be the code that tracks the falling block and the block array that holds everything that has landed. The testing to see if the falling block lands is also part of game code.

My first real game type things were 2D overhead tilebased RPG engines. Which are rather simple. There are several articles around that explain them well enough. Your game code would consist of how keep track of what tiles are, how to draw all the tiles to the screen, how to decide what objects to draw, etc.

If you have AIM feel free to IM me, my SN is Caecus18. I'll try an d help you get started

[edited by - Illumini on April 28, 2003 5:56:35 PM]

wild_1    122
ur a beginner? That makes 2 of us!!! lol (just testing my sig)

-Wild_1-

Q)Y don''t they have drivers ed and sex ed on the same day in iraq?

A)The camels get to tired.

Bigadabop    122
Thanks for the reply everyone. To Caecus18 or anyone else that reads this, my aim is Bigadabop. I would love to learn from you experts, as I feel that is the best way to "start" out. Just send me a IM!

Cestps    122
Actually, SDL (Simple Directmedia Layer) is much easier to learn and use than DirectDraw.

---------------------------------------------
How many nukes could a fat duck duck if a fat duck could duck nukes?

sSimontis    100
Okay. To start out, make a text-based game. This will teach you the basics. After you do, prepare for 2D. Learn to use rather DirectX or OpenGL. After this, begin making simple games. Once you believe you have mastered the concept of 2D, write a large 2D RPG. If you can complete this, you can go to 3D. For 3D, I reccomend finding a free engine. When you do, learn how to use it. Then make your own. Along the way, use Google and books. If you newed help, just e-mail me.

Scott

Illumini    205
Cest, thats a personal opinion tho I''ve messed with SDL and CDX before. SDL obviously the better of the two, but really when it comes down to it I want to understand what my program is doing. Why else did I learn C? This is my main reason for turning people off to D3D and OGL at first. Because they will simply take what a tutorial tells them as fact even if they don''t actaully understand it! I feel its better to know what you computer is doing at a reasonably low level, not assembly or machine code, but atleast how the bitmap is stored in memory etc.

Sure writing your own wrapper for DD could be reinventing the wheel, but if you learn the ins and outs of 2D graphics while your at it, why not?

I mean I''m probably one of the few people on this board who openly support DD lol. And understandably so, it isn''t the easiest thing in the world.

Ah well, just my opinion

Zenroth    127
Your not alone I also support DirectDraw and whats not easy about using DD? Personally I find it much easier than writing a PAK type filesystem or keeping track of 20000 objects in a linked list and there memory allocation

Infuscare    139
just wanted to add that DirectDraw does not exist in DirectX 8 and later. Its been integrated with direct3D to make DirectGraphics (or sumthing like that, but i no it doesn''t exist anymore)

micepick    122
quote:
Original post by Infuscare
just wanted to add that DirectDraw does not exist in DirectX 8 and later. Its been integrated with direct3D to make DirectGraphics (or sumthing like that, but i no it doesn''t exist anymore)

Why do people say stuff like this? DirectDraw is still there. It didn''t magically "disappear" when it was integrated into DirectX Graphics, or else any games using DirectDraw wouldn''t work with DirectX 8 . You can use DirectDraw with DX8 exactly the same way you use it with any previous version. It''s no longer being updated, though.