Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fana

Turing Style Machines

thanks all.

one i found (eventually):

[java]: http://www.runabot.com/cgi-bin/webcom/caimjava?botname=alice
or
http://www.runabot.com/cgi-bin/webcom/caim?botname=alice
let you talk to alice for free (the winning one) but sometimes trips up.

Chatterbots are stupid. A true step backwards within the field of AI.

"To understand the horse you''ll find that you''re going to be working on yourself. The horse will give you the answers and he will question you to see if you are sure or not."
- Ray Hunt, in Think Harmony With Horses

ALU - SHRDLU - WORDNET - CYC - SWALE - AM - CD - J.M. - K.S. | LANL | CAA - BCHA - AQHA - APHA - R.H. - T.D. | 395 - SPS - GORDIE - SCMA - R.M. - G.R. - V.C. - C.F.

You''re better off studying the failures and mistakes made in projects which were altogether more successful and comprised of more substance and hard work.

Here''s a suggestion: study the mistakes made in SHRDLU, SAM, PAM, MARGIE, CD, POLITICS, SWALE, and others which advanced the state of the art. The links for some of those are in my signature.

"To understand the horse you''ll find that you''re going to be working on yourself. The horse will give you the answers and he will question you to see if you are sure or not."
- Ray Hunt, in Think Harmony With Horses

ALU - SHRDLU - WORDNET - CYC - SWALE - AM - CD - J.M. - K.S. | LANL | CAA - BCHA - AQHA - APHA - R.H. - T.D. | 395 - SPS - GORDIE - SCMA - R.M. - G.R. - V.C. - C.F.

so far checked only SRDLU
and that''s super !
I wanted to implement smth similar. the real challenge is making it understand language constructs by ITSELF. This info can give some ideas.

quote:
Original post by bishop_pass

Academic AI researchers roundly lambast chatterbots and their designers every chance they get..... it''s true that chatterbot design is more a matter of psychological and sociological cleverness than an application of AI research. Yet I suspect that as AI approaches a serviceable enough level to interact with humans natively, researchers will find that the chatterbot hackers have been tunneling in from the other end, discovering tricks and techniques that will be useful in "polishing" AI interfaces.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

quote:

Academic AI researchers roundly lambast chatterbots and their designers every chance they get..... it''s true that chatterbot design is more a matter of psychological and sociological cleverness than an application of AI research. Yet I suspect that as AI approaches a serviceable enough level to interact with humans natively, researchers will find that the chatterbot hackers have been tunneling in from the other end, discovering tricks and techniques that will be useful in "polishing" AI interfaces.

What is that ? What are you rambling about ? Your post is as useful as plain 0

quote:
Original post by Sneftel

Original post by bishop_pass

Academic AI researchers roundly lambast chatterbots and their designers every chance they get..... it's true that chatterbot design is more a matter of psychological and sociological cleverness than an application of AI research. Yet I suspect that as AI approaches a serviceable enough level to interact with humans natively, researchers will find that the chatterbot hackers have been tunneling in from the other end, discovering tricks and techniques that will be useful in "polishing" AI interfaces.[...]
AI can pretty much already interact via normal english via text, its been done in several cases. There programs that can do as you command them and then answer questions about why they did things. There are also programs that can read in english text, summarize it, and make inferences based on the data.
Check out Bishop Pass's sig for examples of both and more.

[edited by - Extrarius on May 7, 2003 3:38:06 PM]

quote:
Original post by thy MC
What is that ? What are you rambling about ? Your post is as useful as plain 0

Is there anything in particular you didn''t understand, or did the whole thing go over your head?

quote:
Original post by Extrarius
AI can pretty much already interact via normal english via text, its been done in several cases. There programs that can do as you command them and then answer questions about why they did things.

You sound like you''re mostly talking about SHRDLU. But that''s not the last mile. It''s true that you can have a conversation with an AI if you know how that AI is programmed and what syntactical constructs it supports. It''s quite a different thing to parse arbitrary natural language, with typos, minor grammar errors, and unfamiliar constructs.

>So what is you favorite type of ganja?

ALICE: Dude! I don''t have a favorite ganja. My favorite food is electricity.

Yeah.... real intelligent. I remember reading a very interesting artical on Sun Microsystems website about these things. There is a guy (can''t remember his name) who offered a reward for the first person who could create ai that could trick a person into thinking they were communicating with another human (through instant messaging text). Anyways the article basicly stated that the guy was kindof eccentric and used the annual conventions/contests to make him self feel like he was the shit and basicly that chatterbots are a setback to ai for quite a few reasons (the artical was a bit over my head so i wont pretend that i know why). It was pretty interesting, but unfortunatly i dont have a link. But you gotta love asking these things questions you know they cant answer and getting back silly responses.

quote:
Original post by Sneftel
[...]You sound like you''re mostly talking about SHRDLU. But that''s not the last mile. [...]
SHRLDU is the main application that can understand and execute user commands, but there are also programs that can summarize articles and answer questions (don''t remeber which program it was but it was one Bishop Pass recently posted about). It was fairly impressive in that it could answer questions that were not directly mentiond in the article, such as inferring that if the subway had to be taken to get from A to B it must also be taken to get from B to A, and knowing that the reason a person had no money at one point was because their pocket was picked previously. Unless it generated the questions itself, it was also responding to human input to talk just as an NPC should be able to do (except the NPC would draw on local knowledge instead of written articles).