Turing Style Machines

Started by
23 comments, last by fana 20 years, 11 months ago
>Do you get smashed and puke on other peoples furniture?

ALICE: I have gotten smashed and puked on other peoples furniture.

[Enter the Unspoken Realm]
Advertisement
>So what is you favorite type of ganja?

ALICE: Dude! I don''t have a favorite ganja. My favorite food is electricity.

Yeah.... real intelligent. I remember reading a very interesting artical on Sun Microsystems website about these things. There is a guy (can''t remember his name) who offered a reward for the first person who could create ai that could trick a person into thinking they were communicating with another human (through instant messaging text). Anyways the article basicly stated that the guy was kindof eccentric and used the annual conventions/contests to make him self feel like he was the shit and basicly that chatterbots are a setback to ai for quite a few reasons (the artical was a bit over my head so i wont pretend that i know why). It was pretty interesting, but unfortunatly i dont have a link. But you gotta love asking these things questions you know they cant answer and getting back silly responses.
quote:Original post by Sneftel
[...]You sound like you''re mostly talking about SHRDLU. But that''s not the last mile. [...]
SHRLDU is the main application that can understand and execute user commands, but there are also programs that can summarize articles and answer questions (don''t remeber which program it was but it was one Bishop Pass recently posted about). It was fairly impressive in that it could answer questions that were not directly mentiond in the article, such as inferring that if the subway had to be taken to get from A to B it must also be taken to get from B to A, and knowing that the reason a person had no money at one point was because their pocket was picked previously. Unless it generated the questions itself, it was also responding to human input to talk just as an NPC should be able to do (except the NPC would draw on local knowledge instead of written articles).
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
A person was asking the questions of SAM. SAM makes use of MARGIE (the natural language generator) and CD (Conceptual Dependency) to understand.
PAM was more sophisticated than SAM and built on SAM. POLITICS was more sophisticated than both, building on both of them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement