Testing programs

Started by
3 comments, last by tHiSiSbOb 20 years, 11 months ago
I am writing a simple server/client app and wanted to know if I can test them on the same computer(run the server in 1 consol and the client in another).
----------------------------------------------------"Plant a tree. Remove a Bush" -A bumper sticker I saw.
Advertisement
Yes, you can run the server and as many clients as necessary(within memory/heartiness limits) as you need.
Though for real testing you should do it over the wire so that you can take into account any latency issues you might come against. It might run lightning fast on a single machine but completely slow when going over the wire.

Webby
You just have to take care about the ports you use (if you''re using tcp/ip stack), because two applications cannot take over a single port simultaneously.

"I''ll be Bach!" (c) Johann Sebastian Schwarzenegger
"I'll be Bach!" (c) Johann Sebastian Schwarzenegger
I think a good idea would definately be to do both ... when you test on the same computer, you get a really good feel for how your program can behave in an ideal world ... so that when you test over the wire (you should spend at least 60-80% of you testing time in close to real world conditions - which even means you should ideally go through some artificial delay if possible) you can isolate what problems are inheirant in your core game engine and which are caused by bad networking behavior.
just to make it clear, when I say "caused by bad network behavior" I don''t mean your engine is fine and the network is to blame ... I mean it will point out which areas of your code need to change to be able to handle real world networks, to prevent (as much as possbile) bad network game behavior.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement