Game Programming Tutorial in C++

Started by
3 comments, last by WonderMellon 20 years, 11 months ago
I have walked through Windows Game Programming for Dummies and the tutorials on this site by Teej. What I am looking for is a similar tutorial (for beginners and with DirectX) but in C++. I found www.2dgame-tutorial.com but the link died the day I sat down to begin. Can anyone point me to a good tutorial on the subject? Thanks! -WonderMellon
Advertisement
I dont know whats right for you, but I''m going to share my experience on this:

Nearly all game programming books I''ve seen lately uses some sort of C++ style wrapping, though to varying degree. Windows Game Programming for dummies is quite old now It took you through building a big game library consisting of C functions. In that sense, any of the recent (released since 2002 or so) should be good for that purpose. Just pick the one that''s on the subject you want (like on Isometric games, 3D games, A.I. programming, etc), having made sure that the intro of the book says you will be using C++.

Having said that...

I assume that you aren''t too used to OOP (as C++ is) approach. All of game programming with C++ assumed you know the language i.e. understand and utilize Object Oriented approach. So it''s probably a good idea if you went through any C++ book to get the hang of it. At the end of the day moving from C to C++ is just a matter changing the way you think from functional approach to object oriented approach.

So perhaps all you need is a solid C++ book. If you like dummies series, try C++ for dummies (by Davis I think). If you can think in object oriented way, you will be converting the content of Windows Game Programming for Dummies on your own in C++, easily.

I have the feeling that your main problem does not lie in game programming knowledge, but rather, in C++ language and conception.
Here''s a plug for Dr. Parberry. If you are just looking for doing 2D Check out Learn Computer Game Programming with DirectX 7.0 by Dr. Ian Parberry The Directx 7.0 ISBN is 1-55622-741-8 I know he has a version of the book out in DirectX 8. Dr. Parberry has his name on some other books you might want to check out, one which I will be picking up here soon is co-authored by him and Fletcher Dunn (up there in rank at Terminal Reality) called 3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development. I want it mainly as a reference for all the good ''ol matrix math which I so love to hate...
<selfless plug>
They offer some great courses at Game Institute.
</selfless plug>

-dizzy
Game Institute Intern

[edited by - yzzid on April 29, 2003 6:13:28 AM]
-dizzyGame Institute InternPlease rate me. :)
Thank you for your replies. I will look into these books. Does anyone know of any online tutorials as well?

-WonderMellon

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement