Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JasonA

NDoc Help please

JasonA    152
I just downloaded NDoc (C# doc creator) and I''ve had no luck with it so far... I don''t understand the XML Doc part... In other words, do I have to make the XML Doc file??? Or is there a way for VS.NET to automatically generate the XML file for me... It seems like a lot of work if I have to create the XML file myself. By the way, my project files already have proper XML tags, such as , <params>, etc. Thanks, Jason

Arild Fines    968
In the properties of the C# project, go into Configuration Properties->Build. Fill in a path for the XML Documentation File. Rebuild the project(you will get warnings if you omitted XML comments for any public members).

Next you will need to point NDoc to this file, as well as the assembly built by the project.

"To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin."
-- Cardinal Bellarmine

JasonA    152
Sweet! Thanks, Arild! And actually if you point NDoc to the .sln it will automatically extract the XML file as well as the assembly (you probably already know this )

I have another question that you might be able to answer (I THINK it might be related to using XML files): when I create a DLL, it doesn''t include any of the comments or nice XML tags. When I use this DLL in another one of my projects, is there any way to keep the comments (, <params>, etc) used by IntelliSense?

Thanks again,
Jason

Arild Fines    968
You need to put the generated xml file in the same directory as the DLL(with the same name - a dll called System.Moo.dll needs an xml file named System.Moo.xml). VS.NET will pick up on it and use it for Intellisense.

"To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin."
-- Cardinal Bellarmine