Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chocoboko

320x240 or 640x480 scaled?

Hello, I am making a SNES-Style RPG with SDL. Anyway, a lot of emulators tend to use 640x480 resolution and scale the image, even though the original resolution is close to 320x240. I am just curious to what is the advantage of using a higher resolution and scaling the image. Also, will scaling an image cause a slowdown for older hardware? Thank you for your time.

quote:
Original post by Raduprv
It can''t actually look BETTER, even if there is no interpolation. If you have some bilinear interpolation it should look better.

Height Map Editor | Eternal Lands | Fast User Directory

Monitors work by an electron beem igniting the little bulbs (over-simplified, I know) and lower res is just fewer of them spread out more, and that effect looks better imo. Running on 640x480 looks much better than 1024x768 interpolated bilinearly, but that''s just my opinion.

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

Low resolutions can create a "muddier" image, with edges more blurred. This takes away some of the artificial, perfectly geometric "clean" feel that tends to plague real-time rendered graphics.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

I always liked the interplolation at the higher resolutions. The eagle engine made some games look so fantastic that I won''t play them on my SNES anymore! That would be the advantage IMO. What would be better is just use higher resolution sprites and graphics to begin with! There is really no advantage to using 320x200.

As to whether they support them, SVGA is backward compatible with VGA. Anything you can do in SVGA (and above) is possible with VGA. Most/some cards I believe will even let you do really wierd modes like 16x16. You can try this out with DirectX, although I am not sure if you can do that in OpenGL.

While almost all cards still support low-res modes at the hardware level, their accompanying drivers often don''t allow access to these modes while running under Windows. At least that''s the problem I ran into way back when Win95 was new, not sure if it''s still an issue or not.

I prefer the crisper look you get with the super sxsai interpolation because it doesnt just scale images, it tries to predict what the image would look like were it originally drawn at a higer resolution. No more than double the original resolution though, or it starts to look bad.