• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Simple Q's about MSVC++ 6

This topic is 5502 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am currently working on a game but since i am fairly new to C++ (done a fair bit of programming in VB before tho) I''ve decided that it would be best if i program the editing suite first so i am more familiar with C++ when i get around to programming the game. Unfortuanatally the object oriented programming in MSVC++ is no where near as simple as in VB so i''ve got a few probs that i need help with. 1. I want to create the following design for the dialog scripter:
|---------------------------------------------------------| 
|[]Title Bar                                              | 
|File  Help  Etc.                                         | 
|[toolbar] [] [] [] [] [] [] []                           | 
|Tree View       |Text document                           | 
|                |                                        | 
|Status Bar                                      |CAPS OVR| 

but when i hit maximise the controls stay the same size so i would like to know how to change the size/position of them(particularly the status bar(it activeX control, microsoft status bar (SP4))) i know where to put the code just not what it is. 1.1 also i tried doing this design using MDI childs (or whatever it is that enables multiple document windows within a parent window) but couldn''t get a tree view on the side, is it possible? and how? 2. Reading and writing to files, whats the best/fastest way read/write an ini file? 3. I have tried to use scrollbars in the random map plotting util i''ve made but can''t get them to work. it wont scroll for some reason, i can change it with code but i can''t get it scroll with the mouse. is there anything special i have to do to get them to work? 4. Are there any tutorials for people like me changing from VB to C++? coz my programming knowledge is useless if i cant figure out what the equivelant functions/methods are, it took me a bloody week to find out that the equivelant of select case was switch (at the time i wasn''t using forums just the msdn help files) BTW if u know of a tutorial or something that covers what i wnat to know please post a link to it -Skiller

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by Skiller
Unfortuanatally the object oriented programming in MSVC++ is no where near as simple as in VB so i've got a few probs that i need help with.

Editing graphical dialogs is not what 'object oriented programming' is, by the way.

quote:
but when i hit maximise the controls stay the same size so i would like to know how to change the size/position of them(particularly the status bar(it activeX control, microsoft status bar (SP4))) i know where to put the code just not what it is.

The short answer is either stick with VB, or get Borland C++ Builder.

The long answer is that you probably need to open up ClassWizard, find some sort of WM_SIZE message, double-click that to create an event handler function, then add code in there to change all your controls.

quote:
1.1 also i tried doing this design using MDI childs (or whatever it is that enables multiple document windows within a parent window) but couldn't get a tree view on the side, is it possible? and how?

Sure, it's possible, but I doubt you're going to get a short and easy answer.

quote:
2. Reading and writing to files, whats the best/fastest way read/write an ini file?

'Best': GetPrivateProfileString/WritePrivateProfileString. (Look them up on MSDN.)
Fastest: http://www.codeguru.com/data-misc/HighPerformanceIni.html
Perhaps easiest: http://www.codeguru.com/files/INI.html

quote:
4. Are there any tutorials for people like me changing from VB to C++? coz my programming knowledge is useless if i cant figure out what the equivelant functions/methods are, it took me a bloody week to find out that the equivelant of select case was switch (at the time i wasn't using forums just the msdn help files)

I'd honestly recommend you pick up a book. There's nothing to equal a rigorous text on the subject, and it also helps you learn the aspects of C++ which have no parallel in VB (eg. templates).

[ MSVC Fixes | STL Docs | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost
Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff | Tiny XML | STLPort]

[edited by - Kylotan on April 29, 2003 6:30:37 AM]

bugger , but at least it''ll take less time to make in VB. pitty C++ isn''t as easy as VB but if it were it would probably have the same limitations. o well, thanks any how

-Skiller

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!