is it lame to have a screen prefs menu outside your prg?

Started by
14 comments, last by quack 20 years, 11 months ago
I know that everquest has an *.ini file where you can change various run time/load time options (screen mode/bpp/loading of specific textures and such/placement of objects) and it has an in game "Configuration" Panel with different opitions for various aspect of the game.

And of course upon loading up there are several buttons
"Connect"
"blah"
"blah"
"Options" and inside options you can yet again change load time options (mipmap/static lights/which models to load(SoL+)"

~
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Zern
I know that everquest has an *.ini file where you can change various run time/load time options (screen mode/bpp/loading of

Microsoft has banned the use of INI files. All programs that uses it must be destroyed. (I had to say that just in case MS is reading this) Now it seems MS want to keep programs from using the Registry with .Net what''s up yo!

like everyone said forcing 640x400 then switching from isn''t too cool, especially if some peoples with those classy LCD monitors get all wack looking at that mode.

www.autodefrost.com/~travisSignature Virus cleaned by McAfee
quote:Original post by quack
Microsoft has banned the use of INI files. All programs that uses it must be destroyed. (I had to say that just in case MS is reading this) Now it seems MS want to keep programs from using the Registry with .Net what''s up yo!

like everyone said forcing 640x400 then switching from isn''t too cool, especially if some peoples with those classy LCD monitors get all wack looking at that mode.

*gasp* Destroy EverCrack? ARE YOU ON DRUGS SON? lol

On a serious note, yes *.ini are obsolete and programs should now use the Registery but tell me this, your average person that only knows how to fire up an application by double clicking on it and going from there - which would be easiser for them to edit? a simple *ini file or searching through keys in the registery and faced with DWORD/Binary/Etc values for each of these keys they can set (or corrupt if they decided to play around with) just my two cents.

~

P.S. Serious about that Destroy EverCrack statement though!!!! haha
"Microsoft has banned the use of INI files."

Come on, really?!? Thats so lame, isn''t an .INI just a .TXT really?
They better not be able to stop you from using .TXT''s

What if I call mine INZ or something else? but it is just like a .INI they can''t stop you from that now can they?
this place is lame
Here is what I''d do. Make the setup.exe. This would unpack everyting for you. Then, make a utility.exe. This would have all the configs and source code. And make the game.exe which defines utility.exe. So, i would do it how you mentioned.

Scott
Scott SimontisMy political blog
I think what was really meant was that MS promotes using the registry over ini files.

However, IMHO, the Registry is a really bad invention, and I like the ini file stuff better.
E.g. if you have to re-install windows, you have to reinstall all programs because they save their data to the registry, and some don''t start or behave strangely. That sucks.

I think the program preferences should be kept together with the rest of the program.
A more modern alternative to ini files would be xml files.

My Homepage (C++ SDL OpenGL Game Programming)

I am a signature virus. Please add me to your signature so that I may multiply.
---Just trying to be helpful.Sebastian Beschkehttp://randomz.heim.at/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement