Inheritance and constructors

Started by
11 comments, last by Aargyle 20 years, 11 months ago
Ok I need to pass parameters to a class constructor through its subclass constructor. How the HECK do I do that. I''ve been all over my C++ book and it doesn''t say. Basically I have this: class object { object( int x, int y, int z); }; class door : object { door( int x, int y, int z, int height, int width ); } And I need door to send the xyz to object... ew? Or should I just do the same code from object, in doors constructor? I think the default object constructor will override this though, when it sets everything to zero Thanks!
Advertisement
door::door(int x, int y, int z, int height, int width) : object(x,y,z) {  // set height and width here...} 

class door : object{door( int x, int y, int z, int height, int width ) : object( x, y, z ){;}}  

"To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin."
-- Cardinal Bellarmine
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Woah excellent. Do I need to explicity send x,y,z over or does that definition take care of it for me?

Thanks btw!
''send over'' ?
You need to explicitly specify the variables to send down" to the object class. i.e. it would also be valid C++ to do this:

door::door(int x, int y, int z, int height, int width) : object(width, height, y) {
}

C++ can''t read your mind

Regards,
Jeff
Really? :-O That explains why my compiler has yet to get me that ice cream cone I have been asking for telepathically...
Ok I got that working, now I have a new question!

When I try to access a public member of the base class through the subclass, the compiler says no!

I get:
cannot access public member declared in class 'Object'

when I try:
door d;
int z = d->x;

Am I losing my mind? Its public right?

[edited by - aargyle on April 29, 2003 1:10:42 PM]
quote:Original post by rypyr
door::door(int x, int y, int z, int height, int width) : object(x,y,z) {  // set height and width here...}  

Just wondering what''s the difference between door::door(params) : object(x, y, z) { } and door::door(params) { object(x, y, z); }

I use the second method as it''s clearer for me to read but is there some advantage to using : before the opening brackets?
quote:Original post by Aargyle
Ok I got that working, now I have a new question!

When I try to access a public member of the base class through the subclass, the compiler says no!

I get:
cannot access public member declared in class ''Object''

when I try door->x

Am I losing my mind? Its public right?

class object
{
public:
int x,y,z;
object(int _x,int _y,int _z) : x(_x),y(_y),z(_z)
{}
};

class door : public Object
{
public: int width,height;
door( int x, int y, int z, int height, int width ) : object( x, y, z )
{//put initialization of width and height here
}
};

the keyword public ? you haven''t specified its !!!
Good luck !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement