calling method within activex control ? ? ?

Started by
1 comment, last by steg 20 years, 11 months ago
Hi all, Can anyone answer this question, I have an activex control sitting in a browser, is it possible to invoke it''s methods from outside of the browser ? Many thanks, Steve

If it isn't working, take a bath, have a think and try again...

Advertisement
OLE - Object Linking and Embedding - the previous name for the group of technologies ActiveX is from.

The browser will have a COM/OLE interface, get that interface, that should let you get to the objects embedded in the browser window.

Alternatively just use the MFC AppWizard to make an app (or an interface DLL) which has an ActiveX Container, then load the control into the container.

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

Thanks Simon,

Getting the COM interface from the browser sounds the way to go. What I have is a communications DLL I have written which at the moment communicates to the ActiveX control in the browser via SendMessage (I just get the thread process ID). This is clunky, thus I want to be able to call methods within the ax control from the communications DLL.
Others ways I''ve looked at communicating between the two processes is to have a third application sitting in the middle which communicates to the two other processes via a socket.

Kind regards,
Steve

If it isn't working, take a bath, have a think and try again...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement