Massive Amount of DirectInput Registry Entries?

Started by
3 comments, last by flipper76108 20 years, 11 months ago
has anyone who''s using DI for development taken a look at their registry entries under the HKCU\Software\Microsoft\DirectInput key and noticed anything unusual, like maybe 10s of thousands of entries, all seemingly tied to your development applications? does anyone know of anyway to prevent this from happening? is it maybe associated with running DX in debug mode at a certain level? or something i may be doing in DI initialization? i could really use some help on this as i ended up writing an app just to get rid of this sh*t and i don''t want it to come back.
Advertisement
here's an excerpt from the DirectX SDK Documentation:
quote:
For every application that uses DirectInput 8.0 or later versions, DirectInput creates a key in the following registry.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER
SOFTWARE
Microsoft
DirectInput

This allows the independent hardware vendors (IHVs) to turn off their own device mapping for certain applications. During debugging, however, each build will generate a new key which contains a time stamp and the file size. To avoid generating multiple keys in the registry, use the binary value, AppldFlag.

The following table lists the possible values for AppldFlag.

1 The time stamp is ignored when generating the key.
2 The file size is ignored when generating the key.
3 Both the time stamp and file size are ignored when generating the key.

If AppldFlag is set to 3, all builds of applications with the same file name will use the same key.

hope that answers ur question a little :D

[edited by - crazee on April 29, 2003 1:02:19 PM]
- To learn, we share... Give some to take some -
Where exactly did you find that? I just scrolled through the DInput section of my DirectX9 SDK and I can''t find it. Perferablly looking where to set that AppIdFlag at.
thanks CraZeE.

AP, it''s in the Programming Tips and Tools (the only place that i could find it anyway.) they should''ve put it in the "What''s New in DirectInput" section.
just in case anyone else runs into this, AppIdFlag needs to be created under the DirectInput key and needs to have a value of 03 as seen from RegEdit.

of course that means that any actual commercial games which might make use of this feature due to duplicate named exes are SOL since the flag applies to all exes that use DI.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement