Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

owl

Linux: ReiserFS filesystem rocks!

owl    376
Coreyh    122
I''ve never managed to get very excited about file systems. I didn''t notice much difference between using ReiserFS, ext2, and UFS. I only do programming and desktop style stuff though. My computer doesn''t crash that much either so the slow restart doesn''t bother me.

The ideas are interesting.

Corey

kdIXfA.gamedev.10.coreyh@xoxy.net
www.ipeg.com/~rlfc

bjl3784    122
ReiserFS is uber. ext3''s journaling is pretty much crap, which is why a lot of distros are moving to Reiser as their fs for default installs (i believe mdk9.1 formats Reiser by default)

Strife    374
I''ve never tried Reiser, but I really like ext3. I''m going to switch to Gentoo in the summer (read: about 2 and a half weeks), so I might try Reiser when I use it.

bastard2k5    238
I use reiser as my FS for my computer, very fast, reliable, and coupled with gentoo, makes me a very happy linux geek. I basically need a journalizing fs because law basically states, when I have a CS assignment due, my comptuer turns off some way or another. That killed me last term, I experimented with solaris 9, and a "friend" axed my computer''s power. Now I make sure journaling is present on any FS I have, and don''t let anyone near my computers.

Coreyh    122
If data hasn''t been written to your harddrive when your computer crashes or loses power ReiserFS doesn''t save it. I don''t know where you got that idea. That isn''t possible.

kdIXfA.gamedev.10.coreyh@xoxy.net
www.ipeg.com/~rlfc

Shannon Barber    1681
If it dies while you are saving, your old file is recovered and not half-written, scrambled, or generally gone forever (unlike DOS). And you can still boot since the OS files won''t get whacked either (unlike say, Win95).

If you''re impressed by file-systems, then you want to know about Netware, and their latest-and-greatest file system, NSS. Hardly the do-it-all OS Linux is, but you want a file server, Netware is hard to compete with.