Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kylevision

Creating a simple 3d game engine

99% of an engine is graphic library independent...

However the difficult is in what you want to do! What do you means with the term 3D engine? A 3D asteroids? A fly-sim?
If you want to do an Unreal clone I suggest to take a look at the source..and its math...(they are not humans!!!)

"OpenGL Game Programming" from our GameDev.net buddies has a lot of info on basic OpenGL stuff, but then they put it together into a FPS engine (a simple one, but it works) at the end of the book, and implements it in a game.

Definitely a good place to start.

ok I was thinking of Frames Per Second but I thought that couldent be right...any way all I really want to accomplish is to have the user put in the location of the main character (a textured block in this case) and the locations of a series of other blocks to act like walls somewhat like a maze creator.

any way all I really want to accomplish is to have the user put in the location of the main character (a textured block in this case) and the locations of a series of other blocks to act like walls somewhat like a maze creator.

ok i guess i totally know what u want to achieve since this is what i underwent when i started workin on my FPS engine. First FPS experience, go there:

http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/lessons/lesson.asp?lesson=10

as u can see this is lesson no. 10, so you might wanna chk out the first 9 lessons and then chk out this one. Anyway, Im pretty sure this is what you''re talkin abt right now..once u understand how its being done, you can move on by chkin out tutorials and finally by readin the book you''re gonna b gettin soon.

cheers

On a long enough time line, the survival rate drops to zero.

Guest Anonymous Poster
this page gives you an overview about what an engine looks like:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,19912,00.asp