Creating a simple 3d game engine

Started by
17 comments, last by kylevision 20 years, 9 months ago
Does anyone know where I could find a tutorial or something on creating a simple small 3d game engine in OpenGL?
Advertisement
Anything that contains the word "engine" is generally not "simple" nor "small".

What do you want to accomplish?

Regards,
Jeff
Believe me!!!To create a 3D engine is damn hard and complicated.There is not only OpenGL calls i''m affraid!

The PAIN is coming...this summer!!!In cinemas everywhere.
It took me about 4-5 months (8 hours day, 7/7) to create an isometric engine, in OpenGL, so, unless you have that time, you should use an already existing engine.

Height Map Editor | Eternal Lands | Fast User Directory
99% of an engine is graphic library independent...

However the difficult is in what you want to do! What do you means with the term 3D engine? A 3D asteroids? A fly-sim?
If you want to do an Unreal clone I suggest to take a look at the source..and its math...(they are not humans!!!)
"OpenGL Game Programming" from our GameDev.net buddies has a lot of info on basic OpenGL stuff, but then they put it together into a FPS engine (a simple one, but it works) at the end of the book, and implements it in a game.

Definitely a good place to start.
AIM - RabidJester"If men had wings and bore black feathers, few would be clever enough to be crows."
I had looked into the book, and I am saving up to buy it but for now all I really want to know what exactly is an FPS engine?
do small stuff first, like pong, very simple to do
I already have done small stuff like pong.
FPS = First Person Shooter. Time to brush up on the vocab.

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement