Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Butifuco78

any programmers willing to answer a few questions for a math project?

Butifuco78    122
I''m doing a project for math which requires an interview with someone who works in the field in which we hope to earn a job, and i''ve been having a little trouble finding anyone in my area that fits the profession of a computer programmer. So if anyone has any spare time and doesn''t mind answering six quesions i would very greately appreciate it. Well here they are: 1. What''s your name? 2. What''s your profession? 3. What training is required to gain that profession? 4. What are your highlight duties? 5. What company do you work for? 6. How is math used in your occupation? Thank you so, so much for your time and help.

MrScruff    122
1. What''s your name?

MrScruff

2. What''s your profession?

Programmer

3. What training is required to gain that profession?

Can be all self taught, I was. Degree in Physics helps train the mind a bit though.

4. What are your highlight duties?

Not sure what a highlight duty is. Day to day I fix problems that stop artists from making games efficiently.

5. What company do you work for?

The creator of the best XBox driving game.

6. How is math used in your occupation?

It would be impossible not to use it every minute of every day. From memory allocation to 3D Geometry it all revolves around maths. Most of it is simple arithmetic, but from there you have 3D Geometry, which relies on Matrix algebra. Beyond that I am interested in advanced lighting, which uses everything from spherical harmonics derived from quantum Physics, to data compression derived from information theory. Wavelets, Fourier Transforms and signal processing in general are all important to make the next generation games look good!

iamgod    122
1. What''s your name?

Iamgod

2. What''s your profession?

Programmer

3. What training is required to gain that profession?

Most of my skill set was self taught. I have a degree in Mathematics & Computer Science just for proof of knowledge

4. What are your highlight duties?

Design software systems
Test systems
Reverse Engineer Systems
Hack Test Networks (Analyze system integrity and security)

5. What company do you work for?

Department of Defense (Contractor)

6. How is math used in your occupation?

Encryption (enough said)