• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peon

More questions regarding object handlers

This topic is 5535 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

A while ago, I posted a question about object handler often used in object oriented programming. I managed to get an array of CEntity pointers, and add other classes to it, that were inherited from it.

CEntity* AllEntities[10];
AllEntities[0] = new CShip;  
Now my question is, whether or not it is possible to access the member functions of my CShip class from this array. What I want to be able to do is have an array of CEntity pointers, set them to a specific object (CShip, for instance), and use functions found in the CShip, or other objects:

CEntity* AllEntities[10];

//CShip and CMissile inherit from CEntity

AllEntities[0] = new CShip;
AllEntities[1] = new CMissile;

//this is what I want to be able to do

AllEntities[0].FireMissle()
AllEnitiies[1].Explode()

... but when I do this, I get a message such as
c:\developer\pixel\pixelmanager.h(215) : error C2039: 'PushVertices' : is not a member of 'CEntity'
        c:\developer\pixel\pixelentity.h(6) : see declaration of 'CEntity'     
I understand the error, but I'm not really sure how to implement my idea, assuming it's even _possible_ Any ideas on how I can do what I described above? Am I going about it the wrong way? Thanks in advance Peon [edited by - Peon on April 29, 2003 5:57:53 PM]

Advertisement
You can use casting to do what you want. For example

(CShip)AllEntities[0]->FireMissile()

Though I''m not quite sure that''ll work. You can also do

CShip* Ship = (CShip)AllEntities[0];
Ship->FireMissile( );

Oh you''re not meant to use . when accessing classes via pointers you have to use -> (as in my examples).

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!