mmo, how?

Started by
2 comments, last by bzroom 20 years, 11 months ago
ok dont'' flame this, i used to do vb and i could get like an endless server of winsocks running, provided the momory, but isn''t the network limited to 36,000 ports, so liek max 36,000 users, how do u create a server to hold 100,000 users, like a simple diagram would be a big help, of like maybe multiple servers
Advertisement
Usually a server will bind to a single socket and port, and listen to it for connections. Thus, port''s are not a limiting factor. You do not need a separate port per client. The client has his own port, and binds to the server''s port.

This applies beyond massively multiplayer games. Some ports are designated for specific services. FTP, telnet, and HTTP all have ports that servers are supposed to use to support that service.

http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers contains a list of assigned port numbers.

Hope this helps.

Holy double post batman.

[edited by - Sikara on April 29, 2003 7:20:57 PM]
yea i always wondered about html requests, but anyways i guess the game im designing the engien for is seperate servers that handle 1-2k players, so i guess its not a problem, i''ll research what you said, thanx

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement