Anyone here think they are as good as the ID programers?

Started by
52 comments, last by Enlighter 20 years, 11 months ago
"maybe you''ve seen that comment about quoting out of context?"
No

"stop making me feel old because i grew up when decent realtime 3d was pretty impossible and remember that quake _1_ was using a software engine."
Sorry I started coding when opengl and DX were available. I had no idea quake had it''s own software renderer. Did they also write their own renderers for quake 2 and 3? Why not?

" im talking about quake. yes _quake_ "
How can anyone say whether or not they have these same skills, when they are now unnecessary?! We don''t have to write our own software renderers nowadays. Is that the skill you are talking about?

"go back to that time, use a et6000 and see how far opengl will get you."
Well we can''t, we don''t need to, and we wouldn''t want to.. Things are better and easier for us nowadays. You can admire ID for their grunt work, but the way you people put it, it''s like admiring whoever built the pyramids, and overlooking those who construct incredible architecture NOWadays..
this place is lame
Advertisement
I am God.

OMGOMGOMG! KTHXBYE

Trent Polack
trent.codershq.com
trent@codershq.com
Author of Focus on 3D Terrain Programming
quote:Original post by deadalive
Sorry I started coding when opengl and DX were available. I had no idea quake had it''s own software renderer. Did they also write their own renderers for quake 2 and 3? Why not?

i can''t find the specs for q2 right now, but im quite sure it still had a software renderer.

quote:
How can anyone say whether or not they have these same skills, when they are now unnecessary?! We don''t have to write our own software renderers nowadays. Is that the skill you are talking about?

the skill is to (as someone mentioned above) take what you have at that time and squeeze the best out of it. people saying "im better, because q2 sucks and i could make a better game" should either work under the same conditions (software or card like v1) or rather try to beat doom3.

quote:
Well we can''t, we don''t need to, and we wouldn''t want to.. Things are better and easier for us nowadays. You can admire ID for their grunt work, but the way you people put it, it''s like admiring whoever built the pyramids, and overlooking those who construct incredible architecture NOWadays..

but they arent talking about incredible modern architecture, but about writing better stuff than engines that can be considered stone old and pretty old. thats like "jipie, im a game programmer, ive done a pong game and it looks better than the original game... and it only requires a gf2 and 1ghz"

yes, its so much easier and faster and better today, but if you have apis providing all you need then you should do a lot better than beating a software engine with an engine that probably requires 10 times the ressources and hardware support.

and hairy: my address should appear in my profile and this are the minimum requirements for q3:
PII 233+, 32 Mb Ram, 3dfx Voodoo1
are you sure your q3 clone will be playable and look like the original on this machine?
f@dzhttp://festini.device-zero.de
quote:Original post by Enlighter
How much experience do you have in the field?

I''ve started working in that domain in 96... check my CV on www.sun-a-moon.org for more details

Metron
----------------------------------------http://www.sidema.be----------------------------------------

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement