• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UnknownPlayer

Billboard-Camera alignment matrices (a problem relating to them...)

This topic is 5534 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know I can use the inverse of my view matrix to keep my billboard poly''s perfectly aligned towards the camera in my scene, but what do I do if I only want to keep the facing pointed at the camera, without rotating the billboard along its edges - i.e. if the camera spins then the billboard will seem rotated on 2-dimensions to the user, but the image will always be visible. I need to do this because my game is a space sim, so if an explosion animation is playing I want it to always face the player, but obviously if they did something like fly in a spin towards it the explosion animation should not remain perfectly orientated to their point of view. What kind of matrix should I be using for this, or what changes should I be making to the matrix I have (i.e. the inverse of the view matrix - yes I do know and do use the transpose to save on the cost of calculating a determinant)? Any help is greatly appreciated. ##UnknownPlayer##

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!