How does my game play?

Started by
7 comments, last by OklyDokly 20 years, 11 months ago
I'm working on a game, which I intend to release as freeware in the next couple of weeks. I have now got it to a playable (but not complete) stage and I'm wondering what people think of it. It can be downloaded from: www.vipedro.co.uk/MyFiles/BlicoBloco.zip Basically it's a cutesy puzzle game, made as a cross between Puyo Puyo and Puzzle Bobble/Bust A Move. Instructions are included in the readme, but briefly the cursor keys move the arrows and WASD keys fire. Match up three adjacent 'blocs' to get rid of them. I'm intending on submitting this game as a demo to potential game employers in the UK, to get me a job as a junior programmer in the industry. I'm wondering mainly if employers will be impressed by it (after I've polished it up and added sound of course), and what I have to do to make it better. There's still a couple of bugs with the deletion, but other than that, the gameplay element is pretty much complete. Also, if you do try it out, please post your scores and tell me whether you liked it Thanks Chris [edited by - OklyDokly on April 29, 2003 8:17:58 PM]
Advertisement
I only got 56880 before I got bored, but it is a very interesting twist to the stack-em games One of those "I''m bored of being bored" games, and definitely a big step up from Solitaire :D

I''d suggest you get the layers rising up a little sooner, and perhaps add some checking to ensure the same colour wotsimicallit doesn''t show up more than twice in succession...

Support for aiming with the mouse would be nice too

Press to test... *click* Release to detonate...
Press to test... *click* Release to detonate...
It''s pretty cool, Okly. I''m not a big puzzle gamer, so it''s no real surprise I was lousy at it. The one thing I wondered about was there doesn''t seem to be a whole lot of interaction between the wings. Every so often something would happen that effected multiple wings at once (i wasn''t clear on what), but when I played I tended to forget about all but one wing at a time. I was thinking maybe if the queues for each wing interacted somehow, like maybe the blobs in the secondary level of the all the queues rotated clock-wise everytime you fired a blob. That way you''d have to constantly think about all the wings. I also wasn''t really sure how to win. I kept wanting to clear out one wing entirely, but it didn''t seem possible.
It''s a good looking game though; some nice little background noises (like blobs screaming out as you fire them off or something along those lines) could go a long way too.
-david
Wanted to say mostly the same that Muse said. The game looks like 4 Bust-A-Moves glued together with twisted control scheme. But the idea of inter-wing interaction may be interesting. Perhaps, there should be special blocs doing something to other wings.
Oh, and you can also insert multiplayer as an option (maybe 2 players each having 2 wings), where the players can make each other''s life harder as each bloc they cleaned added some troubles to their adversary.
Thanks for your replies, I''ll have a think about the wing interaction.

One idea that immediately comes to mind for me is like in Nintendo''s tetris attack game, when you do a big combo, the blocs stop moving for a while. However maybe I should have it so that it completely locks the wing that you did the combo in, so you cannot fire any blocs into it, for a certain amount of time. This would force you to move your attention to another wing.

Special blocs might be another good idea, but I''m stumped for what these blocs would actually do, would they be fired from the centre, or would they be already in the centre?

Any other suggestions or elaboration on my suggestions? I''m starting to believe that the four directional thing doesn''t work, and the game should just be a one wing at a time endeavor.
I''ll first confess that I haven''t played it yet. I''m at work and can''t really download it from here -- I''ll try and make myself a mental note to try it when I get home.

I just wanted to quickly post on the importance of music. The most popular puzzle games these days, not coincidentally I think, have great music to spice up the gameplay. Depending on the theme of your game, I would go with something New Age, techno, jazzy, relaxing, or just weird. Or maybe a combination. Just something that gives the game a little spirit.

Of course, since the game is freeware, you probably don''t want to spend a lot of money on licensing music -- you could always use MIDI, but if you can find some public domain MP3s or a CD with free license music, that would be very cool.

Also, The Music Bakery sells monthly albums for about $50 that have a lot of original, royalty-free tracks.. very useful for anyone looking for a score for their game.

Brian Lacy
ForeverDream Studios

Comments? Questions? Curious?
brian@foreverdreamstudios.com

"I create. Therefore I am."
---------------------------Brian Lacy"I create. Therefore I am."
Score: 175940

I only played it once, but it was kinda neat. Good graphics, nice gameplay, controls are complex, but easy to learn.

Yet I like the original Puyo Puyo more than this game. It''s perhaps only me but four wings are a bit too complex, IMHO. Maybe, if there was interaction between the wings - as has been mentioned -, it would not end up in "multiprocessing" all the wings like you''re playing the same game simultaneously on four computers.
Yeah, that''s a pretty cool game and all, I just wanted to let you know that it runs at 8-9fps on my machine. But then my computer is super old, a 500mhz K6 with a voodoo banshee. Nice work though.

Radical Racers
Cool, getting some good positive responses here.

Don''t worry about the speed Rixter, I''m going to optimise it soon, once I get the options menu and title screen in, I should be able to put in support for low poly models and low quality textures.

Also I''ll try and work out a way to get the wings interacting, mouse inputs a maybe as well, if I get time.

Game has got a lot cooler since my last post, it now has nice sound effects in, and I''m trying to find the best way to put music in (using fmod, so most file formats suggested.) Has anyone got any suggestions of where I can find some good free and royalty free music (preferably not classical midis), or even better would anyone like to donate some !

Anyway, I''ll post another copy of the game when I''ve made the game, and then it will almost be finished

Hopefully have it done by the end of next week.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement