• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Psionic-X

[java] Tetris Clone well info to get me to the first steps

This topic is 5528 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was just wondering what i would need to look into to start working on a tetris clone to be made in an apllication for not on an applet. I know id have to learn about double buffering and was wondering if there was a good site on that.. and like graphics and frame objects... Thnx all for your info.

Advertisement
Hey, Psionic-X. I see you joined GameDev recently. Welcome!

The GameDev site features some excellent resources. At the top of this page there is a link called "Articles and Resources," or something like that. Click on that. When the next page is displayed, scroll down to a section called "Languages," and click on the Java link. Some of that information should be helpful.

Also, Sun''s website is always a good place to seek information about Java programming. I think the URL is:

http://www.sun.com

If you prefer a book, a very good one is Java Programming for the Absolute Beginner, by Joseph P. Russell. The book teaches basic Java programming by creating a number of simple games. One of these games, by the way, is a Tetris clone. I have quite a few books, but I seem to pull this one from my bookcase more often than most.

Another good book is Java 1.4 Game Programming, although I don''t recall the author''s name at the moment. This book covers Java from the ground up, and explores new features of the Java 1.4 SDK, like full-screen mode and networking.

Good luck!

Jonathon
quote:
"Mathematics are one of the fundamentaries of educationalizing our youths." -George W. Bush

"When a nation is filled with strife, then do patriots flourish." - Lao Tzu

lol that doesnt answer my question. though i didnt know about the rescource section before so ill look through that.

------------------------------
Exsiting in every essence of time I will find you! You will answer my Question!

-Psionic-X- Existing from a greater plane

[edited by - Psionic-X on April 30, 2003 9:01:39 PM]

Go to www.javagaming.org, under shared code there is a thread titled simple fullscreen/windowed framework.
This should get you started.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!