• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grizwald

Game Programming Language..

This topic is 5525 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I don't want any crazy "my language is better than yours" posts in here (bishop_pass, sabreman) *cough* but I think we all can agree that for every task there is an ideal language. but what about game programming. I have yet to see an *ideal* language for game programming. built in vectors, algebraic sets. a syntax that easily allows creation of trees and lists. what features would be useful in a game - oriented language? I don't want any remarks about any language in exsistence..as far as i care there are no other languages. If a feature that you like is in a language, state the feature specifically, not the language. -cody [edited by - Grizwald on April 29, 2003 10:43:05 PM]

Advertisement
quote:

I have yet to see an *ideal* language for game programming.

... this can only end badly.

quote:

If a feature that you like is in a language, state the feature specifically, not the language.

But in spirit of the post I'll participate.
I like the way .NET encapsulates the Windows GDI and gives you a nice and easy-to-use class library for quick and dirty 2D programming. Sorry I can't be more specific then that.

[edited by - wyrd on April 30, 2003 1:26:09 AM]

[edited by - wyrd on April 30, 2003 1:26:34 AM]

if your serious about it i would say C/C++ or something that
compiles into efficient code like delphi.

also depends if you want to use directx, its alot easier in
visual c++ than any other compiler

but gl can be done from anything but not as much documentation, sure lots of examples out there but the dx sdk comes with these.

thats about it

A GOOD friend will come bail you out of jail...
but, a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn, we fucked up."
Ingite 3D Game Engine Home -- Just click it

Guest Anonymous Poster
Variables HTML! a game programming language probably shouldn''t have any complex types built in to allow for freedom.

quote:
Original post by Grizwald
I don''t want any crazy "my language is better than yours" posts in here (bishop_pass, sabreman) *cough*

I already prejudiced against this thread. I really don''t think it''s as interesting as it could be.

"To understand the horse you''ll find that you''re going to be working on yourself. The horse will give you the answers and he will question you to see if you are sure or not."
- Ray Hunt, in Think Harmony With Horses

ALU - SHRDLU - WORDNET - CYC - SWALE - AM - CD - J.M. - K.S. | LANL | CAA - BCHA - AQHA - APHA - R.H. - T.D. | 395 - SPS - GORDIE - SCMA - R.M. - G.R. - V.C. - C.F.

would this include only the pure and naked language or the available libs too? as i always thought thats the idea behind libs.. being more or less ideal for a certain task and potentially available for different languages.

Guest Anonymous Poster
also depends if you want to use directx, its alot easier in
visual c++ than any other compiler

easier than any other directX compiler? not easier than blitz3d.

ill just post a link intead of posting the features. you can click on "features", (after reading the quotes of course)
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Blitz3D/index.php

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!