Best Book 4 Newbies

Started by
78 comments, last by the_serp 20 years, 11 months ago
What is the best book for a begginer to start on?
Advertisement
I found that Accelerated C++ is a good book for getting ya up to speed on C++ quickly and easily.

I''ve two game programming books, Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus and the Zen of Direct3D. TotGPG covers alot of topics regarding game programming in general while Zen of Direct3D covers mostly 3D graphics programming with a little bit of other gaming stuff. Both are good books, but make sure you''ve got C++ down and know your compiler well before diving into them. And you''ve definately got to take your time, even on the stuff thats boring.

I''ve heard that the Programming Roleplaying Games book is excellent, but I haven''t checked it out myself.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Have you heard about the code complete book and is it a good book to start on?
Code Complete is a reference for improving your coding technique, not really learning how to program with... its for refining your skills.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
so would totgpg be a good book that will help you to learn how to design games.
Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus is a good book to get you into game programming because it covers nearly every aspect of game programming, except 3d graphics or online capabilities.

You haven''t made it clear on how much you know about programming in general though, you need a solid foundation in C++ before touching these books, otherwise you''ll get really lost really fast.
I know absolutely nothing about C++ or any game development software. You mentioned earlier a book called programming a roleplaying game is that a book to learn from or would i best stick to totgpg book.
if you don''t know anything about programming at all then you can''t even begin to look at those books yet, no joking. You absolutely have to know C++ before you can even think of peeking at one of those game programming books.

get yourself a good C++ compiler and purchase the book Accelerated C++... and learn it like the back of your hand then you can get into those other books, but this''ll keep you occupied for at least a few months by itself.
Thank you but do you know if and where i can get a free C++ compiler off the internet.
I haven't used it, but I've heard decent things about Dev-C++ that you can download at bloodshed.net for free.

[edited by - zer0wolf on April 30, 2003 3:05:42 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement