Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

malpass

Starting Networking In C#

malpass    122
I''m studying for the 70-316 C# MSAD exam, and on microsofts site it recommends "MS Press - Programming Windows With C#", which i''ve read. The exam also has questions on databases and ADO.NET and things like that which aren''t covered in the book i''v read, is this anything to do with networking, if so which book(s) are good to read before the exam. Either way, whats a good book for network programming with C#.

djkno3    123
ADO .net is the library used in .net to access most desktop databases like access. It doesn''t really have anything to do with networking. As for a good book on networking I honestly don''t know, I like the wrox press books but I don''t think they have on on just networking. I would look at the book store or on amazon and hope it has a chapter preview.

Dire.Wolf    122
Well ADO.NET does have something to do with networking. You are querying a potentially remote resource for information. This is the very essence of networking.

Further more, ADO allows you to access database servers via the SQL and OLE DB providers. It isn't just limited to Access-like desktop databases.

[edited by - Digitalfiend on April 30, 2003 8:40:23 AM]

malpass    122
The 70-316 exam has quite a bit of ADO.NET in it, so what book would you recommend for that, any specific one or shall I just look for another MS Press one designed for the exam.

PS. Has anyone here taken the MSAD 70-316 exam, if so, does it cover anything else other than Windows Forms, General stuff, ADO.NET and using unmanaged code. I''ve read the 1200 page windows forms MS Press book so I know pretty much all there is to know about windows forms, but nothing as of yet about ADO.NET and that would be really handy too, I''ve already come across many occasions where ADO would be very useful.

djkno3    123
Ok ado .net does let you query sql servers but the System.Data.SqlClient is better suited for sql type server (most often MS Sql but can work with Oracle) and you can query over a network (by using a connection string) but does not use anything in the System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient that would be used for "real" networking. If you are going for the exams I would recomend either reading about stuff on MSDN (some people say they get what they need from that) or buy the books (most notibly the one that is titled "Developing Web applications with MS VB .NEt and C# Exam 70-315" it has stuff on ado .net and asp .net

*note the "developing windows applications with VB .net and C#" also has stuff on ado .net

[edited by - djkno3 on April 30, 2003 7:45:09 PM]

Themonkster    159
have a look on amazon for ado.net book there should be a few. check the comments that people have entered about the book. if your still not sure get down to your local computer book store and have read.

I have programming C# the animal pictures people on the front cover.

that has a chapter on ado.net and is quite good but I already knew ado so maybe that helped.

good luck with the test.

Arild Fines    968
quote:
Original post by djkno3
Ok ado .net does let you query sql servers but the System.Data.SqlClient is better suited for sql type server

System.Data.SqlClient is a part of ADO.NET
quote:

(most often MS Sql but can work with Oracle)

I sort of doubt you can get Oracle to work with the SqlClient provider. .NET 1.1 comes with a System.Data.OracleClient namespace, and I also believe Oracle has made available a provider of their own.

"To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin."
-- Cardinal Bellarmine

djkno3    123
so I stand corrected I have only used MS Sql but they said at a seminar you could use oracle with it as well (I guess they ment the Oracle namespace) Anyway thanks for clearing that up :D

Dire.Wolf    122
quote:
Original post by djkno3
over a network (by using a connection string) but does not use anything in the System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient that would be used

No it uses DBNETLIB apparently, which I believe will use named pipes or TCP/IP though I''m not positive.