anyone know good Lightmapper???!!!

Started by
8 comments, last by Scaven 20 years, 11 months ago
Does anyone know good lightmap editor? Maybe there is something, that can import a .x file of a level, put the lights in it (make it good-looking ) and export it in .x file (good looking alredy). Cause this DirectX lights are smth for kid-like game... I don`t need any radiositys or smth, just that the objects could lay shadows on each other in it (i mean static). I could use the unwrapped lightmaps of Max, of course, but i use the tiled-textured objects in levels...
Advertisement
I think it takes less time to write a lightmap raytracing program that calculates the lightmaps, then actually paint all lightmaps.

e.g. A bsp compiler makes lightmaps and saves them into the map file.
[www.LifeIsDigital.net - My open source projects and articles.
.bsp compiller - is one of the solutions. But do u know any, that can import .x or .3ds files? (Or maybe export :D)
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
.bsp compiller - is one of the solutions. But do u know any, that can import .x or .3ds files? (Or maybe export :D)

I''m affraid not. But there ís an alternative:
with the bsp editor GtkRadiant , you can import some known 3D file formats. if the above file formats aren''t possible to import, use a conversion tool like Deep Exploration (former 3D Exploration) to convert it to a format that is supported by GtkRadiant. Off course the GtkRadiant doesn''t allow to be used in a commercial application other than the ones from ID software.
Perhaps Quark(Quake Army Knife) has an importer too?
[www.LifeIsDigital.net - My open source projects and articles.
http://www.fluidstudios.com/freeware.html

My Site
2 quasar3d : And did u use it to make lightmaps for your engine? Or u made your lightmap calculating algorithm? And it doesn`t run - some sort of fatal error...

2 Vich : And how would they know that i made map on it?
I`ve found a Light Map Maker program - it makes nice lightmaps, but exports only in some "Morfit World Files (*.wld, *.morfit, *.state)" and "ASCII files (*.txt *.tse)"
Do they store lightmap info? And can they be converted to .x or smth.? (And in DeepExploration there are 2 sorts of ASCII files - for 3dMax and Maya - are they equal?)
No, I made my own lightmap render.

My Site
renderer

My Site
http://www.geocities.com/dxlab/index_en.html

This one was featured on flipcode IOTD a couple months ago. We''re now using it for our game. It lacks some features like radiosity, normal smoothing and backface alpha projection. But it also comes with source, so modifying it is an option under the GNU license.
__________________I have a computer!
How about a C/C++ lightmapper?

The one above is in pascal.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement