Linux Installation Troubles

Started by
6 comments, last by steve010 20 years, 11 months ago
Normally when I''ve installed linux in the past, I''ve just chosen to take up the whole hard drive. Now, I need it to share with Windows XP. I''m trying to split the hard drive with fips, but fips doesn''t know what kind of drive type Windows XP uses. Any help?
A suid program means root for me!
Advertisement
I haven''t installed Windows XP myself, but couldn''t you just leave some empty space and add the partion during the installation of Windows XP?

If that''s not possible for some reason, I''d just use the normal NTFS ID, which is 07 according to cfdisk.

cu,
Prefect
Widelands - laid back, free software strategy
Assuming oyur trying to install a dual boot, resizing NTFS partitions is difficult or impossible or dangerous.

Your best bet is to reinstall XP and leave blank space. And enough blank space. you can always turn some of it into ntfs or fat32 so windows can see it, but right now to get more space available for linux, you''d have to reinstall XP with a smaller partition.
Won''t Partition magic make a new partition for him?

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment
quote:Original post by tstrimp
Won't Partition magic make a new partition for him?

sure will...for the price of the software..
head on over to http://linux-ntfs.sf.net and check out the NTFS tools, there is a tool for resizing NTFS partitions there. the only draw back is that I *think* you have to have linux already installed, not sure though. Check it out.

[edited by - bjl3784 on April 30, 2003 1:49:57 PM]
XP uses NTFS by default, and it really isn''t much fun do deal with. In order to dual with Linux and XP, INSTALL XP FIRST!!!! it will save a lot of headaches.otherwise you have to create a linux boot floppy afterward and actually create an "image" of your linux boot table for XP to process, also google "dual boot linux windows 2000" and it requires a dd command in order to boot w/ NTLoader. Or if XP is already installed and hogs the system mandrake 9.1 splits ntfs partitions.
quote:Original post by bastard2k5
INSTALL XP FIRST!!!!

Truer words were never spoken. If at all possible, avoid installing Linux first like the plague, for a couple of reasons: 1) ANY windows installation will automatically overwrite the MBR on whatever hard drive it is installed on, which is a problem because not only will the XP install not even detect that there is another bootloader there, but once installed, you won''t be able to boot Linux because the XP install won''t detect that Linux is even installed on another partition. 2) Linux installs are MUCH better about detecting other operating systems on the hard drives they are being installed on, and LILO (and I suppose GRUB) is *much* more configurable when it comes to booting other OSes.

If you absolutely must install XP after Linux, the easiest thing IMO to do is install Linux with LILO as your boot loader, create a boot floppy, install XP, and then just boot up to Linux and reconfigure LILO to boot XP as well, and reinstall LILO, overwriting the MBR. This is incredibly simple if Linux and Windows are on the same hard drive: you just have to tell LILO which partition the XP drive is on and it will automatically pass control to NTLDR.

The Mandrake 9.1 ISO''s have NTFS resize built in. I don''t know how well it works; I''m going to try over the summer. Right now, I just use Knoppix whenever I need to use Linux.
---New infokeeps brain running;must gas up!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement