Diffuse Shadows

Started by
14 comments, last by brucesinner 20 years, 11 months ago
Hi folks, I was looking to some pictures and wondering how to do with opengl the shadows like the ones from that pictures? Here are the pictures: [edited by - brucesinner on April 30, 2003 12:17:11 PM]
"Steel and Fire,Spreading the Holy Word,Dirty Liars,The truth has never been told" - Primal Fear
Advertisement
The shadows you mean? There was alot on both pictures...

For the shadows you could use lightmaps, or maybe stencil shadow volumes...

And, erm... was that all?
yes the shadows. It looks like some sort of blur effect was applied to them...I know how to do shadows, but mine always look only black, not blurred like this one...any tutorials, hints for this???
"Steel and Fire,Spreading the Holy Word,Dirty Liars,The truth has never been told" - Primal Fear
I think you could do the same thing with soft shadows... But the only reason the shadows are like that are that there are many lights around, I think...
firstly you are going to need multiple lights. then when you render it activate the accumilation buffer. when you are done rendering the shadows and lights then disable the buffer. check the OpenGL Blue book or the OpenGL Super Bible for more info.
Actually blured shadows has to do with the size of the lightsource relative to the object.

The following picture should clear this up:

I would not recommend using the accumulation buffer. But if there is no other way....

It is horribly slow!!! And only runs in software on most cards these days.
I''ve read a SGI paper about it. They just rendered the shadows several times, moving the light a bit each time (note they didn''t use 100% black shadows). Then, they just added the results together and got the cool and nifty blured shadows.

However, it wasn''t made in real time. I don''t think you will be able to get such results with current hardware, unless you''re just planning to make a tiny demo and not an actual game.
It looks like those shadows have been done using radiosity rendering, which is not the same as using point sources which I think is what openGL works with.

It could be replicated using multiple light sources, but to get that sort of effect you looking at maybe 40 or 50+ in a hemisphere over the target. if you don''t have enough light sources you end up with lots of separate distinct shadows.

I''ve tried this and in can work very successfully with static scenes (lightwave with lightswarm), but real time graphics is going to be slow.

Can radiosity be done with openGL?
I didn''t realized what "snisarenko" said...the shadows always have to be done by ourselves, using buffers, or other way, but by ourselves didn''t it? Can''t think a way that the size of the light source could affect it...

I think that multiple light sources, with each one at a diferent distance from the object and the shadow with different levels of darkness making some kind of degrade effect...am I right? or said stupid things?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement