Diffuse Shadows

Started by
14 comments, last by brucesinner 20 years, 11 months ago
The size does matter. Thats how shodows are diffused in real life. I got my info from "Andvanced Animation and Rendering Techniques" book .......

Advertisement
The size of the Sun relative to the Earth is what creates the umbra and penumbra durin a lunar eclipse. The size matters ALOT. Unfortunately, I don''t think any graphics API can replicate that effect realistically.

--------------------------------------
I am the master of stories.....
If only I could just write them down...
I am the master of ideas.....If only I could write them down...
The high end graphics programs can render like that, it''s called Global Illumination. Light comes from all directions.
Doing it realtime in OGL, good luck. Be sure to write a tutorial on it for me if you figure it out
_______________________________________Pixelante Game Studios - Fowl Language
snisarenko I have that book!! but I didn''t read it all, I will look at it right now..thanks a lot!
"Steel and Fire,Spreading the Holy Word,Dirty Liars,The truth has never been told" - Primal Fear
If you use projective shadow mapping (where you render the object to a texture, then project the texture onto the scene), you can simply use a low resolution texture and stretch it, and it will give blurry shadows... of course, that''s just an idea .
Look up "jittering". There''s no way of getting shadows as good as those, but you can at least get some soft shadows from it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement