Habitat Game Engine v0.0.3 demo - comments welcome

Started by
21 comments, last by stodge 20 years, 11 months ago
Good job!

About 900-980 FPS without and 380-450 FPS with GUI (depending on cursor movement)
My specs: 1GHz Athlon, 1GB RAM, GeForce 3 Ti 500 card, Win2K SP2

About the laptop issue: with the GDI renderer you can be glad to have such framerates

gregd: IIRC the Quake series switches to a very fast software
renderer if your video card doesn''t match the requirements, thus
you get reasonable framerates (as your CPU is quite fast). The GDI renderer is just a very
slow implementation of the OGL framework and is not meant to be used for games (actually I don''t think it''s meant to be used at all).

Advertisement
quote:Original post by darookie
Good job!

About 900-980 FPS without and 380-450 FPS with GUI (depending on cursor movement)
My specs: 1GHz Athlon, 1GB RAM, GeForce 3 Ti 500 card, Win2K SP2

About the laptop issue: with the GDI renderer you can be glad to have such framerates

gregd: IIRC the Quake series switches to a very fast software
renderer if your video card doesn''t match the requirements, thus
you get reasonable framerates (as your CPU is quite fast). The GDI renderer is just a very
slow implementation of the OGL framework and is not meant to be used for games (actually I don''t think it''s meant to be used at all).

Thanks for the comment and the info. I wasn''t sure what to do about slow performance on the GDI, but now having read your post, I think I''ll do nothing.

So does performance drop to 380fps when you move the cursor? Is it that when you move it over components or just over blank screen? I''ll make a note and see if I can optimise that any. I didn''t realise that the GUI would drop rates so much. I don''t see much of a hit on my PC. Something for me to think about!

Thanks
---------------------http://www.stodge.net
Alright, welcome to the first Linux demo of the Habitat Game Engine!

It''s a little rough around the edges in that it still kicks out some debug. I need to look into how to redirect stdout, as it doesn''t seem to work 100% yet, but that''s ok for now. I''m just looking for people who run Linux to try this out.

The only caveat that I can think of is that you need to have the SDL runtime libraries installed; version 1.25 (or 1.2.5?) should be fine.

The demo was compiled with g++ 3.2.2 running under Mandrake 9.1, so you will probably a distribution that is as recent as mine, simply to get the correct runtime C++ libraries (I think).

Also, the main music file doesn''t seem to work under Linux (FMOD thinks it has an invalid file format), so you wont get any music. You should hear the sounds when you use the buttons though.

Run the demo using the shell file testSDL.sh, as it sets up the load library path to pick up the shared libraries.

Anyway, if you try it and it works, let me know:

Linux distribution
FPS value, graphics card, processor

Keys:

escape - quit
f1 - help
f2 - test menu
tab - toggle console
wasd move the camera

Good luck and I''ll keep my fingers crossed!

Habitat Linux Demo

Thanks
Mike
---------------------http://www.stodge.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement