Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

smiley4

Living the Same Day Over and Over

smiley4    193
After watching Ground Hog Day, I was wondering how you could live the same day over and over. What kind of warp in space would make you relive the same day but learn from it everytime it repeated.

smiley4    193
True, but much fiction can be eventualy made to fit in science.
Of cousre, something would have to cause such a irregular fluctuation in space/time.

etaylor27    138
While it is true that sometimes science is motivated by works of fiction, it is not the general case. Also, it is problematic to say that ''fiction can be eventually made to fit in science''. I''m going to have to say that this is just plain false. Many people are unwilling to believe that there are certain things that are impossible, but some things simply cannot happen.

Aargyle    122
Quantum mechanics says that time progresses like an ever-expanding tree, rather than a line. At each point where something random happens, BOTH happen. Time splits into two different divergent timelines at that point. So, the old paradox about going back in time and killing your grandfather might work, if you go back in time, kill him, then progress down a different timeline than the original one. In fact, quantum mechanics says you DID do this, and the original and ''new'' timeline were both there all along.

Anyway, you could imagine a situation where you keep going back to a specific point in time, and each time go down a different time line starting from there. There are infinite timelines to transverse from any given point in time.

Mwahahah

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Aargyle
Quantum mechanics says that time progresses like an ever-expanding tree, rather than a line.

Quantum mechanics doesn''t really say that. However, it is one of several possible interpretations of quantum mechanics.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
what''s the differnce between what QM says and what QM can be interpreted as? If I ask you a question, do you respond to what you interpret as my question or what I''m saying?

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:

What kind of warp in space would make you relive the same day but learn from it everytime it repeated.

A funny shaped one, that smells like cheese.
Even more likly, a mental disorder.

what even makes you think warps in space time are possible?...

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:

Quantum mechanics says that time progresses like an ever-expanding tree, rather than a line. At each point where something random happens, BOTH happen.

Ahh this is new to me. I wonder how the universe differentiates between things are random or not. Since of course throwing a dice is determined by physics, this isn''t random.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
warped space is very real, and very accessible. It comes in an attractive liquid form.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
what''s the differnce between what QM says and what QM can be interpreted as? If I ask you a question, do you respond to what you interpret as my question or what I''m saying?

What one says can often be interpreted in several ways, don''t you think? When it comes to QM there are for instance the Copenhagen, hidden variables, and many-worlds interpretations. Google them if you like to know more.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
what are hidden variables?
(I''m too lazy to google it)

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
variables that are hidden.
attack of the AP''s!

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
ahh thought so, great, thanks alot

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
what are hidden variables?
(I''m too lazy to google it)

Simply put, the hypothesis that QM is not complete and that there are underlying laws determining what QM can only give the probability for.

Shadowdancer    319
quote:
Original post by Aargyle
Quantum mechanics says that time progresses like an ever-expanding tree, rather than a line.

Actually, if that were the case, you could never live exactly the same day over and over again since a tree doesn''t have cycles per definition. It would also make time travel as it is regularly thought of impossible since when you travelled back in time, you would inevitably create a directional link between two nodes in that tree and thus create a cycle.

An - IMHO - workable solution would be to look at a subtree with the days starting point ("So put your little hand in mine...") as root node, all possible end nodes (death, midnight, ...) as leaves and (after completely ignoring anything said before) link almost all of them back to said root node. Thus you would get some kind of cyclic spaghetti graph inside the tree that was impossible to escape unless you managed to steer your decisions towards one of the "escape" nodes that is still linked to the former tree. The problem is that you had to create a parallel/pocket universe with a different decision structure than the rest of the universe which would probably make something go boom when you linked the two.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
i think your making too much refernce to computer games sd.

ToohrVyk    1596
The main problem with ground hog day is : say Joe is going to sleep Sunday 11:59:999 pm, and Monday is the Ground Hog day. Ground Hog day thus starts at 0:00:000 with Joe from Sunday (having experienced no Ground Hog day yet) in his bed.

Now, Joe lives his Ground Hog day, goes to sleep Monday 11:59:999 pm, and a millisecond later, it''s Monday 0:00:000, with Joe from Monday in his bed. But since there was a warp in time, it''s the same monday as before, which means Joe from Sunday is in his bed too. We have two Joe''s in the same bed!!

While it might be possible that one can loop back in time using a time machine, it seems questionable that Joe from Sunday will suddenly "dissapear" from his bed, and be replaced with Joe from Monday, and so forth... If he really went back in time, he would find Joe from Sunday in his bed (since he goes back to a time when this was true). Since Joe from Sunday obviously isn''t in his bed, this means the same events are not happening again.

Excellent movie, by the way...

ToohrVyk

Shadowdancer    319
quote:
i think your making too much refernce to computer games sd.

I''m just building on the "decision tree" theory Aargyle brought up. Nothing inherently game related there. smiley4 asked how this might be possible, and as long as you don''t have a better explanation, don''t criticize mine

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
warped space is very real, and very accessible. It comes in an attractive liquid form.

Oh, that''s what that was!

SpaceRogue    122
quote:
Original post by ToohrVyk
Now, Joe lives his Ground Hog day, goes to sleep Monday 11:59:999 pm, and a millisecond later, it''s Monday 0:00:000, with Joe from Monday in his bed. But since there was a warp in time, it''s the same monday as before, which means Joe from Sunday is in his bed too. We have two Joe''s in the same bed!!

Look at it this way: Perhaps only his CONSCIOUSNESS is looping through time. This has some serious scientific merit, seeing as if the many-worlds interpretation of Quantum mechanics is true, the question becomes: Why do we only experience one particular branch of probability and not all of them? This of course begs the question "What is consciousness?"

Perhaps time travel is possible without any "physical" machinations at all, but instead only requiring the right ''frame of mind'' so to speak. Cool, eh?

pag    100
you can't travel through time, because if you where the universe would expload as you try to move materia from one universe to the other, just as touching a soapbubble.. Why? Because all materia in the universe is the universe and if you move some of it to another universe..eh hate explaing these things in english, hope you get my point anyways...

and about consciousness, all things in the world has it's own kind of consciousness, as for example you throw a rock on the ground real hard it will break, and the exact same thing happens in your mind every second every day every year you live. By that I mean it's all chemicals and electrical impulses that cause our consciousness(damn hard word to spell).. heh... it's 4 am, i shouldnt be talking about things like this at this time of the day heh... isn't there a law or something against it?

zzzz...

if you didn't get what I ment about consciousness, don't worry I read throught it just a second ago and didnt understand a word of it... hehe... oke, i still have a bit of my hangover since last night

In the next 80 years 6 billion people will die...

[edited by - pag on May 1, 2003 10:02:52 PM]