Living the Same Day Over and Over

Started by
77 comments, last by smiley4 20 years, 11 months ago
After watching Ground Hog Day, I was wondering how you could live the same day over and over. What kind of warp in space would make you relive the same day but learn from it everytime it repeated.
Now I shall systematicly disimboule you with a .... Click here for Project Anime
Advertisement
The movie was fiction ;-)
True, but much fiction can be eventualy made to fit in science.
Of cousre, something would have to cause such a irregular fluctuation in space/time.
Now I shall systematicly disimboule you with a .... Click here for Project Anime
While it is true that sometimes science is motivated by works of fiction, it is not the general case. Also, it is problematic to say that ''fiction can be eventually made to fit in science''. I''m going to have to say that this is just plain false. Many people are unwilling to believe that there are certain things that are impossible, but some things simply cannot happen.
--"The greatest pleasure in life is in doing what people say you cannot do." -- Walter Bageholt
Quantum mechanics says that time progresses like an ever-expanding tree, rather than a line. At each point where something random happens, BOTH happen. Time splits into two different divergent timelines at that point. So, the old paradox about going back in time and killing your grandfather might work, if you go back in time, kill him, then progress down a different timeline than the original one. In fact, quantum mechanics says you DID do this, and the original and ''new'' timeline were both there all along.

Anyway, you could imagine a situation where you keep going back to a specific point in time, and each time go down a different time line starting from there. There are infinite timelines to transverse from any given point in time.

Mwahahah
quote:Original post by Aargyle
Quantum mechanics says that time progresses like an ever-expanding tree, rather than a line.

Quantum mechanics doesn''t really say that. However, it is one of several possible interpretations of quantum mechanics.
what''s the differnce between what QM says and what QM can be interpreted as? If I ask you a question, do you respond to what you interpret as my question or what I''m saying?
In many cases, the former and not the latter.
quote:
What kind of warp in space would make you relive the same day but learn from it everytime it repeated.

A funny shaped one, that smells like cheese.
Even more likly, a mental disorder.

what even makes you think warps in space time are possible?...
quote:
Quantum mechanics says that time progresses like an ever-expanding tree, rather than a line. At each point where something random happens, BOTH happen.

Ahh this is new to me. I wonder how the universe differentiates between things are random or not. Since of course throwing a dice is determined by physics, this isn''t random.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement