2d art cut scenes

Started by
6 comments, last by quack 20 years, 11 months ago
do 2D still images with flashing text and erie music work any more for game cut scenes. Like most old sega games. If I kept it short is it ok today. Or since the games in 3d should it be a short scripted 3d scene. Is there anyway either of theses can possibly add to the quality of a game anyway.
www.autodefrost.com/~travisSignature Virus cleaned by McAfee
Advertisement
I think it would depend on the game. I have a game design that is full 3D, but involves 2D cut scenes. The reason I think it will work in my game is the style of the game combines nicely with the art style of my cut scenes. For example, the cut scenes will be completely black and white and appear slightly hand drawn. This gives a more dramatic image in my mind. Also, the story of the game is litterally told to you in story format as the game goes, so it adds to the feel that you are reading the story. I also have some blending ideas to transition from screen to screen, but I won''t go into those So, after that long winded explanation I would say yes, it is possible.

Always remember, you''''re unique. Just like everyone else.

Greven
Always remember, you''re unique. Just like everyone else.Greven
Homeworld anyone ?
Perfect music, the ocasional 2D slideshow cutscene to show a big step, the "normal" ingame cutscenes for scenarios.
Can anyone find a problem with that ?

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
word, so 2d cut scenes are ok, cool! I guess they are better if they fit in with the game somehow.
quote:Original post by quack
I guess they are better if they fit in with the game somehow.

I would say it is ESSENTIAL that they fit with the game somehow. otherwise they break up the style of the game instead of enhancing it.

A good example of 2D stuff working can be found in most military games (MOH:AA for example). Between level presentation/briefings are done with 2D art but all in a military style that fits the game. Sticking fantastic anime art screens onto a 3D game that that doesn''t have the same visual style isn''t really enhancing the game. It just makes the game engine look bad as it can''t match the style/quality of the 2D art.

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions
Game Development & Design consultant
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
One of the best use of pure 2D I saw was the *installation* of Soldier of Fortune (1 I think), where, while the game was being installed, you would be treated to a series of "reports" on your hero, the missions that were ahead, the organisation you are working for, etc. Stuff that you dont really want to have to learn about while you are playing, ''cause it''s a bit tedious to wait for 10 bloody minutes for an ingame 3D cutscene to finish.
But because you *have* to wait for 10 minutes for the game to install, it actually gave you something to do to pass time, while giving more depth to the game (plus it looked really cool, much better than if it had been done in 3D).

Comic book 2D cutscene, if the game is more of the realistic 3D type, will be hard to do well... a better approach is a prerendered kick ass CGI picture (like in the example I just gave), or some "real" photographs, or something like that.

Homeworld had sketches and blueprints of ships, which I thought was a bit of a rip off, but heck, I still have the music on my CD player, so I couldnt care less

Uber detailed prerendered 3D would probably be the best choice.

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
quote:Original post by Obscure
Sticking fantastic anime art screens onto a 3D game that that doesn''t have the same visual style isn''t really enhancing the game. It just makes the game engine look bad as it can''t match the style/quality of the 2D art.

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions
Game Development & Design consultant

UGGH that''s what I was gona do, get someone to add nice anime art to the game, but the style won''t match up. I guess that''s why new games uses 3d CG pics instead of 2d so they match up well.
Anyways by that rational, I guess I have to find an artist that can design 3d models and 2d art! or just settle with the 3d CG thing. thanks for the tip.

Note that I said it wouldnt be a good idea *if the game is realistic*.
Say, if your game is a kid game like Rayman, cartoon graphics as cut screens are much more appropriate than a 3D CGI of RAyman himself, dont you think ?
The same logic apply to your game.
If your game is attempting a cartoon look (say, if you have Cel-shaded characters, who have non-realistic proportions), Comic book illustrations would work pretty well, I''d say.

Maybe you should move this discussion to the Visual Art forum, there are a few good artists there

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement