OpenBSD

Started by
4 comments, last by OctDev 20 years, 11 months ago
OpenBSD 3.3 is being released tomorrow (well, tonight at midnight I believe). Anyone else gonna install it? The Tyr project is here.
The Tyr project is here.
Advertisement
I think my brother is going to install it.
He has a little home server running 3.2 now I believe.

Trang
>>trang.myBigLongExecutableFileExtension>>ERROR: no such file or directory
Heh, I just installed 3.2 today. I knew 3.3 was coming out, but I grabbed 3.2 while I was still at Uni. The main ftp.openbsd.org server is hosted at the UofA, and being in rez, I decided to take advantage of the 800 Kbps transfer rate . Also grabbed FreeBSD and RH9 for some more experimentation.

So far, it seems pretty nice as a server OS, but I don''t think I''d use it on the desktop.

"The sun is the same in a relative way,
but you''re older"
--Pink Floyd
Yeah, people have mixed reviews about OpenBSD and its places in the world. Some are for it as a desktop, many are against it.

I am in the process of setting up FreeBSD right now on my primary desktop. Things are up and running, and I have made a few tweaks to get things like the mouse and audio working better. The install process to get where I am at has been horrendous when compared to that used for OpenBSD; OBSD went alot smoother and was simpler as well. Funny, as FreeBSD is considered more desktop friendly. My primary reasons for going to FreeBSD on my desktop were the Nvidia Geforce4 drivers and more interesting multimedia/desktop ports and packages.

I run OpenBSD on two other machines though. One is a server that is rarely on and doesn''t do much anymore, and the other is a dedicated firewall/router. The firewall/router runs perfectly. OpenBSD is so well sutied for edge devices like this. As for servers, it depends what you really want. FreeBSD has some features that OBSD doesn''t have, OBSD is more inherently secure.

I plan on upgrading my server tomorrow and actaully using it to run a few apps again, and possibly upgrading the firewall.

If you are still at Uni tomorrow I would get 3.3, especially with that connection (the ftp sites are probably gonna be pretty busy). I would also destroy RH9 (nothing agianst Linux, just bad experiences with RH and would prefer other distros...let the flames begin).
The Tyr project is here.
Sweet alaskan asperigus tips! OpenBSD gets released tomorrow? YAY! I''m gonna downloand it Doubtful if it will be my desktop, but it will go on a spare box testing and experimenting.
Hitchhiker90"There's one bitch in the world, one bitch with many faces" -- Jay"What are you people, on dope?" -- Mr. Hand
Alrighty time for me to upgrade; I am debating whether to upgrade or do a clean install; I don''t really have anything worth keeping and have some misc stuff that is completely unnecessary. Think I''ll just kill it all.
The Tyr project is here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement