Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

themattgreen

Programming for the Gameboy Advance

themattgreen    132
I was just browsing the game programming section of amazon, actually looking for something which would explain the use of matrices to a dunce like myself, when I came across this curiosity: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1931841780/ref=br_lf_b_h__3/026-2662712-1037217 ''Programming the Nintendo Gameboy Advance'' I was just wondering if anybody has anymore information on this than is displayed on the link. Does it have a working compiler included is basically what I want to know. I suppose that''s not actually essential, as there are plenty to dload. Are you not supposed to be an official developer to program Gameboy Advance? I remember trying to obtain the evaluation version of playstation codewarrior and being told you had to pay £6000 to be an official developer(and before you say it, I know it''s because they only want big game companies making these games). ------------ "You can do anything you set your mind to." Bollocks! What about the guy born with no legs who wants to be a footballer? Spam Spam Spam www.themattgreen.com

zackriggle    130
I highly doubt it comes with a compiler. Most books do not. Evin if it =DID= come with a compiler, you would still not be able to actually play on GBA. For that, you would need a cartridge writer and re-writeable GBA cartridge (which run for $40-$50, and are hard to find)...

themattgreen    132
Ahh, yes I know about flash cartridges and the like, but I can use an emulator anyhow. I''d just like to learn how to program for gameboy advance. I actually used my noggin for a change and had a look at premier press website, which I should have done before I started this thread, and the information there states that it uses public domain tools.

http://www.premierpressbooks.com/catalog/product.cfm?category=Game%20Development&isbn=1931841780

Not too sure if I should bother with it really, there are gameboy development websites out there which may be just as good. The books probably written by someone who writes for one of the aformentioned websites anyway.

slickshoes113    122
I haven''t ever programmed anything on GBA, but I''ve looked at some sites. Its my understanding you can program in C or C++ (not sure though). Heres a link to a pretty good site: www.gbadev.org

IFooBar    906
The hardest part for programming for the GBA is getting started. After you set up everything right, then it''s just like programming for the PC. You can use C/C++ to prog for GBA and to get started I suggest you ditch all those sites mentioned above and go right here on gamedev for an article to get you started on the GBA.

The above mentioned sites are good for AFTER you get set up. The forums at gbadev are the best for getting gba help.

:::: [ Triple Buffer V2.0 ] ::::