Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

r

shoot'em up!

hi there i''m in the middle of a shoot''em up game design ,so i just want to know what''s ur best shoot''em up game ever since i can''t find any statistics about this one. mine r: demon star (old but good) ikaruga also i wanted to know how good would an ikaruga clone for the pc with added stuff like power-ups and experience and modifiable ships also with lots of ships and more longer game plz consider my game should go commercial any help would be appreciated thanx for ur time

ikaruga is a fantastic throwback to the genre. My personal faves have to be....

Type-R
Life Force
Ikari Warriors (NES game)

Whoops forgot to answer the question. Personally I think the reason Ikaruga is such a good game is because it's so deviously simple. I'd say introducing some extras may enhance the game for some, but I'd suggest a mode that was more for the purist.

[edited by - rhouve on May 1, 2003 5:24:00 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
Zero Wing for its bad translation!

-In 2101, War was beginning-
Captain: "What happen !!"
Mechanic: "Somebody set us up the bomb !!"
Mechanic: "We get signal ."
-CATS'' holopicture appears-
CATS: "How are you gentlemen !!"
CATS: "All your base are belong to us !!"
CATS: "You are on the way to destruction ."
CATS: "You have no chance to survive make your time ."
CATS: "Ha ha ha !!"
-CATS'' holopicture fades out-
Mechanic: "Captain !!"
Captain: "Take off every ''Zig'' !!"
Captain: "Move ''Zig'' ."
Captain: "You know what you doing ."
Captain: "For great justice ."
-Fade out-

In my opinion DoDonPachi is the best shmup ever

http://www.classicgaming.com/shmups/reviews/dodonpachi/dodonpachi.htm - Review, remember to check all the crazy screenshots

quote:
Original post by rhouve
ikaruga is a fantastic throwback to the genre. My personal faves have to be....

Type-R
Life Force
Ikari Warriors (NES game)

[edited by - rhouve on May 1, 2003 5:24:00 PM]

oh snap forgot about life-force, that was hot. R-type had dope graphics and that phat full level boss. Ikari Warriors just had the ILL joystick it wasn''t that cool though. Ikaruga? never played it

Guest Anonymous Poster
He is Talking about the PC guys, don''t mention ARCADE, PSX, PS2 games
he mentioned Ikaruga coz he liked it so much, but he''s talking about the PC games mainly

{switching to long-term memory storage retrieval... }

I''d have to say R-Type. Raptor was cool, but R-Type was just done on such a lovely scale. Don''t know about ikaruga, never heard of it. LED (Laser Enhanced Destruction) was pretty funky as well... no idea if that ever made it to the PC though... played it back in the good old days on my Spectrum 48k.

Last thing to go through a tortoise''s mind before it hits the ground at 40mph? "D3DXVec3Add (Tortoise.Pos, Tortoise.Delta, Tortoise.OldPos"

thanx guys

since some of u mentioned the money stuff what do u think about ...

in my game your score gives u some money to buy stuff like weapons sheilds and other stuff also there''s experience based on some rule (haven''t decided yet), ur experience gives u other stuff like speed, firerate, super weapons and other options ,so what do u think about this stuff in a shoot''em up game is it a good thing or what

i''ld appreciate any help since i really cann''t decide whether it''s fun or not

thanx all

Good shmups that haven''t been mentioned yet:

Giga Wing 2 (Movies of it in action)
Blazing Star (Bonus! Be not panic!)
Pulstar
Viewpoint (insanely hard Zaxxon-type shmup)
UN Squadron (the SNES version had a nifty ship customization mode where you bought powerups with money you made during the level)
Thunder Force 5
19XX
Strikers 1945
Zero Gunner 1 & 2 (very cool helicopter shmup, but very hard to find)
Raiden 2
Radiant Silvergun (because the shmup police would kick my ass if I didn''t mention it)
DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou (Movies of it in action)

I could go on for hours. Ikaruga is pretty dang good, but it does have its flaws. Play time and lack of variety for starters.

rRootage is one of the "purest" and most enjoyable shooters I''ve played. Simple graphics and special effects, and nothing but boss battles, but its simplicity and style make it a real fun game to play.

Link:

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/windows/rr.html

j