Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thekid

Starting my compiler from an IDE app

thekid    122
Hi, I am in the process of creating a java like language for a school research project. I am going to be creating an IDE to code in but i need to know how to initiate my compiler .exe from the IDE in both windows, and linux if possible. I also need to be able to pass comandline arguments like filename, dependancies, outputfile, ect. Any information would be helpful Kid

thekid    122
Im making my own IDE. I just need to know how to run my compiler application which is a comandline app, from the IDE program. I know VS does this, and all the GNC IDEs do it as well

Sneftel    1788
Under Windows, you''ll be calling ShellExecute. Er, assuming you''re writing it in C/C++.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

prh99    520
quote:
Original post by thekid
Hi,

I am in the process of creating a java like language for a school research project. I am going to be creating an IDE to code in but i need to know how to initiate my compiler .exe from the IDE in both windows, and linux if possible. I also need to be able to pass comandline arguments like filename, dependancies, outputfile, ect.

Any information would be helpful

Kid

I found this site:
http://graphics.lcs.mit.edu/~decoret/ARGSTREAM/
about parsing the command line. It should enable you recieve command line parameters for you compiler.

hope this helps

George2    187
I don''t know about windows but under linux there is popen and pclose :

#include <stdio.h>

// use this to open a pipe to the compiler

// read_or_write is either "r" or "w"

// you get back a FILE* which you can use to read the compiler output, or

// write to the compilers input

FILE* popen(const char* commandline,const char* read_or_write);

// close the pipe

int pclose(FILE* pipe);

For more info you can allways look at the man page.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
I am in the process of solving the meaning of life, can someone please tell me how to add two numbers?

krez    443
you could also have the IDE create a makefile (or some version of a makefile specifically geared to your compiler), and have the compiler app read it when it is started.