Starting my compiler from an IDE app

Started by
6 comments, last by thekid 20 years, 11 months ago
Hi, I am in the process of creating a java like language for a school research project. I am going to be creating an IDE to code in but i need to know how to initiate my compiler .exe from the IDE in both windows, and linux if possible. I also need to be able to pass comandline arguments like filename, dependancies, outputfile, ect. Any information would be helpful Kid
Advertisement
Um, what IDE's?

EDIT: Like this? (Though obviously modified for blah...)

Wow.

[edited by - kordova on April 30, 2003 10:15:31 PM]
Im making my own IDE. I just need to know how to run my compiler application which is a comandline app, from the IDE program. I know VS does this, and all the GNC IDEs do it as well
Under Windows, you''ll be calling ShellExecute. Er, assuming you''re writing it in C/C++.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
quote:Original post by thekid
Hi,

I am in the process of creating a java like language for a school research project. I am going to be creating an IDE to code in but i need to know how to initiate my compiler .exe from the IDE in both windows, and linux if possible. I also need to be able to pass comandline arguments like filename, dependancies, outputfile, ect.

Any information would be helpful

Kid

I found this site:
http://graphics.lcs.mit.edu/~decoret/ARGSTREAM/
about parsing the command line. It should enable you recieve command line parameters for you compiler.

hope this helps
Patrick
I don''t know about windows but under linux there is popen and pclose :

#include <stdio.h>// use this to open a pipe to the compiler// read_or_write is either "r" or "w"// you get back a FILE* which you can use to read the compiler output, or// write to the compilers inputFILE* popen(const char* commandline,const char* read_or_write);// close the pipeint pclose(FILE* pipe);  

For more info you can allways look at the man page.
"THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS REPORT IS CLASSIFIED; DO NOT GO TO FOX NEWS TO READ OR OBTAIN A COPY." , the pentagon
I am in the process of solving the meaning of life, can someone please tell me how to add two numbers?
you could also have the IDE create a makefile (or some version of a makefile specifically geared to your compiler), and have the compiler app read it when it is started.
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement